smart phones

Get a motorbike.

Reply to
Chris Green

To save money

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

they thought I was breaking into some premises.....as they do in Glasgow

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

so they all got in for 60p ?....

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

So when you're broken down by the side of the road, you pull out your smartphone to open the What 3 Words app, find out your location, and then call the AA with your dumbphone. Please explain how this saves you money.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

what ? ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

what ? ...

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...

Er no. I don't break down by the side of the road., I make most of my phone calls from home, and the landline is cheaper than the smart phone. In fact if I make no calls on it at all, which is default, the smart phone costs me nothing! And if I make no calls to paying numbers on my dumbphone, that saves me money as well

Simples!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Are you saying that a 3G phone won't fall back to 2G if 3G isn't available?

Reply to
Max Demian

Wimmin can borrow a policeman's helmet.

Reply to
Max Demian

In what way is WhatApp 'necessary' ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Does it vibrate and give you a thrill ?.

Reply to
Andrew

Get a bus pass ?

Reply to
Andrew

Which is not relevant to Harry's suggestion of using both a smartphone and a dumbphone in a breakdown situation (which is a main reason why you'd keep a phone in the glovebox, the topic of this subthread).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I would expect most will if it is available. Obviously things like data access at that point becomes very limited. So calls and texts are ok, and very limited telemetry style data transfer also ok, but anything else would be difficult or impossible.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is parking still fee for motorbikes?

First walk 3 miles to nearest bus stop....

I once used a public transport planner to get me from home to city centre, it reckoned that if I left home at 6:30am I would get to the city centre (some 20 miles away) by 19:00 the same day. I then added up the costs of the transport plus the over night stay and decided it was better to go by car and pay the various costs. I knew all this but had to prove it to someone who was very anti-car and pro-bus.

Reply to
Bev

Internet access would be slow using GPRS/EDGE with speeds of the same order of magnitude as dial-up, but I hardly ever use mobile data.

I ask because I've got an old smart phone (without a working SIM card) that is 3G but not 4G.

Reply to
Max Demian

They can just piss and shit on the ground. That is what one Indian woman, presumably an illegal, did right in front of everyone on the front lawn here when waiting for the garage sale to open. Very common in India too.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Quite often, yes

Reply to
Chris Green

used to but they didn'tlike you using a 2g phone

Reply to
Jim Stewart ...