Smart meters (again)

Ding!

Any time a profit-making concern tries to persuade me that something's in m y best interests, my immediate reaction is "don't piss down my back and tel l me it's raining". I think I first did this in 1987 when a building societ y tried to tell me what a great thing endowment mortgages were.

Reply to
Halmyre

meter(s) do

As the buggers haven't routinely changed any of our meters (dated

1967, 1980 or 1996). If "they" suddenly want to "they" can also replace the meter board, (which is vaugely loose), move the cutout onto said new board, replace all the meters and fit switch fuses for each supply (4) all in one hit. I'll happily pay reasonable costs for or supply the switch fuses and supply suitable meter board(s), as it needs to be long and narrow to fit the available space.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I got a new meter about 6 years ago (from EDF) because they offered me a tariff which gave me much cheaper electricity all evening and night and weekend. That tariff is no longer the cheapest, so I just use the dual meter as a single, reporting both readings and getting charged the same for both.

I don't think they like switched fuses - I assume you can then turn off the supply before the meter (to let you tamper with it).

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

No the switch fuse would be mine, so it goes after the meter Which is the suppliers). If I wanted to tamper with the meter I'd consider working live but why risk that when you can simply pull the cutout (which is the DNO's)? If you are worried about the wire seals, eBay is your friend.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes I know all that :-)

But the suppliers will assume most people won't risk breaking the seal or working live.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword