Smoke detector types

Girlfriend bought a holiday apartment in Wales, originally built in early 1970s I would guess. The previous keeper has removed the smoke detector in the hall, leaving behind what is labelled as an "EI easi-fit

250VAC mounting plate". I'm wondering which detector type (optical or ionisation) to replace it with before the first paying customer stays there?

I've had a read of the wiki:

From the recommendations made in BS5839 listed there:

  1. A single detector in the (very short, certainly
Reply to
Part Timer

With any luck a current EI (Aico) unit may fit. But if not, change the plate as you have the cable there.

However, personally, I always fit interlinked smoke detectors to the bedrooms too as there's no guarantee smoke from a bedroom will get to the hall through a well fitting door.

EI also do a nice range of lithium 10 year radio interlinked alarms if adding wiring is a problem.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I thought for properties available for let they had to be mains powered units?

Reply to
Fredxxx

I am sure Ei-Aico used to claim the 10 year radio were an accepted alternative for Class D (mains) alarms. But now I can find no trace on their new website.

There's no class for "full life battery powered" (most alarms only have a service life of 10 years). Common sense would say the Ei 600 series

*should* be as good as mains alarms (in effect they are "mains powered with non removable battery backup, but without the mains and with the battery lasting the whole service life").

Would I be happy with them - yes - especially if it meant being able to fit alarms in places mains doesn't go.

Would they pass legislative requirements for rental properties in England? Pass. Still trying to figure that out.

If in doubt, ring Ei-Aico - they are very helpful by all accounts.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not for single dwellings in England. (HMOs are different as the landlord has to make it "fit" and interlinked alarms are generally needed.)

Yes in Scotland.

Not for Wales and NI unless BRs require it.

Reply to
Robin

I fitted some in our village hall a couple of years ago - it hasn't burned down yet.

Reply to
charles

Correction: Tim Watts post prompts me to realise I got Scotland wrong: for single dwellings at least in Scotland they need to be interlinked, but long-life battery are OK. (I think: I ain't diving into the regs again.)

Reply to
Robin

+1

And it would be the optical version.