smoke detector

Does anyone know if it is possible to renew the battery in the FireAngel WST-630 smoke detector? I have taken the battery out and thank that I could solder a replacement in provided it was the correct size. I am reluctant to buy a new smoke detector as they do not last any time. Thank you.

Reply to
Stewart

I have a couple of FireAngels with "lifetime" (10 year?) batteries and have not had any significant problem.

Reply to
newshound

I had 2 installed; one failed after 2 years so was replaced and now a second has gone after only 3 years. They are expensive to replace and if I cannot get (or fit) batteries i think I shall just revert to those with disposable batteries. Thanks for the reply.

I have a couple of FireAngels with "lifetime" (10 year?) batteries and have not had any significant problem.

Reply to
Stewart

There seem to be two different sorts of smoke detector, most of the el cheapo ones use a radioactive source the ionise the air and hence detect the presence of smoke by the change in resistance so to speak. Others use a laser beam system. I think the problem with the radioactive ones is that as the isotope decays the efficiency goes down, so after about 10 years its probably whatever the sniffing equivalent is of deaf as a post.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

According to the data sheet, the alarm "Includes 2 x non-removable integrated lithium power packs - 10 year life in normal operating conditions"

AIUI when batteries are stated as being 'non-removable' it means that the battery life is the same as the lifetime of the alarm, more or less, and that the alarm itself deteriorates and needs to be replaced at about the same time as the batteries.

If you rip out the old batteries and solder in new ones, you could be fitting batteries to a dud alarm, with all the consequences that that might entail, such as you or your family getting burnt to death.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Smoke detectors use Americium with a half life of over 400 years so after 10 years there is more than 98 per cent left. The replace "after

10 years" comes from risks of failure due to insects, grease, dust, nicotine and other assorted gunk; and electrical failure - especially where they are never tested (let alone tested with smoke).

Reply to
Robin

No, it means that the lifetime of the unit is constrained by the lifetime of eh batteries.

Look at it witrh a cynical adiult mind.

1/. You can sell smoke alarms with throwaway refittable batteries. After a year they are useless unless some total numpty can remember how to fit a new one and does so.

2/. Or you can make a mains interlinked one. That's fine and dandy, but requires wiring, so only a competent electrician can install.

3/. Or you can sell a wanky product interlinked by 'WIFI' and put the biggest battery in it you can find, and then tell the sheeple 'you cant replace the battery;' so they buy a new one.

Christ you are a snowflake.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Whenever you say 'I think' Brian, one cringes. Patently you don't think.

Americium half life is ~400 years.

There will be no change in sensitivity worth a damn over 10 years.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

He must do. He manages to get it wrong 99.9% of the time.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Reply to
Chris Hogg

What's the "half life" on modern electronics with cheap caps, and lead free solder?

There will be no change in radioactive emissivity worth a damn over ten years, but that is not quite the same thing.

A more common problem is the alarms becoming over sensitive as they age, and being more likely to give a false alarm. (and hence users disabling them)

If one were to test them (with smoke, not the test button) from time to time and they are not giving false alarms, then its reasonable to keep them in service longer than the recommended duration. However for many its just going to be simpler to replace them.

There is a resonable summary of the (rather limited) research done on this here:

John Rumm

The ionisation ones and the optical ones work better with different types of fires. You really want both types to give the best protection from both fast burning and smouldering fires. You may also want a temperature rise one too. Some detectors combine all types but i would go for separate ones to cover faults better.

It has nothing to do with cheapness.

Reply to
dennis

There will be but not because of the decay. They all become clogged with dust, etc. over time. Best bet is to fit a ten year battery one and chuck it when flat.

Reply to
dennis

Hi brian, wrong again!

Reply to
dennis

I had 2 installed; one failed after 2 years so was replaced and now a second has gone after only 3 years. They are expensive to replace and if I cannot get (or fit) batteries i think I shall just revert to those with disposable batteries. Thanks for the replies.

Hi brian, wrong again!

Reply to
Stewart

If it's not designed to be opened I would be wary of forcing open a smoke detector that uses a radioactive source inside.

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

The bit with the source in is quite well protected.

Reply to
newshound

And only emits alpha particles. Which are stopped by a sheet of paper or your skin. You'd have to eat the source to be in any danger of being in any danger, and the source will have about 0.3 microgram of Americium-241. Most of what you would ingest is not absorbed by the body.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The source is in a metal can and is safe as long as you don't open the can. Even then just don't eat it or grind it up and inhale it.

Reply to
dennis

The reason it uses americium is that the alpha radiation is very short range. It wont do more than a few cm of in air, and skin stops it. There is also not much in there to start with.

So provided you don't eat it, its perfectly safe.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher