Laser printers bugger you up?

Or at least the toner does.

harry

Which I learned in 1985.

You need special filtered vacuum cleaners.

Reply to
Bob Eager

When I worked for Xerox the big printers (9700's and then a Docutech) were in an air conditioned room for that very reason.

Reply to
Huge

I'm assuming you refer to the fact that if you spill toner you would need a special filter in any vacuum you use to clean it up or it will gum up the works. Its pretty obvious. We knew this in the photocopier era. The melting of fine particles of plastic using heat onto paper means that the powder has to be microscopic, so don't breath it in, and low temperature melt, as we don't want to set fire to the paper either. It thus passes through the bag pores and most normal dust filters, gets to the hot compressor or motor and glues it all together most effectively.. grin. Didn't this idea feature in a film where the wife found out about her cheating husband and before walking out tipped toner over the carpet? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes we had them here I think they cost about £400 in the early 90s whe n we brought ours. we dont use them now all our printing services are out s ourced.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I don;t think there were any filters you couold buy to attachet to domestic cleaners.

The substance (toner) is or was considered carcinogenic in that it could cause cancer, maybe a rat was fed a toner cartridge and it died of cancer I don't know how they came to this conclusion.

Reply to
whisky-dave

You can buy HEPA filters for Henry vacuum cleaners.

Reply to
Nightjar

You also need a conductive hose.

Reply to
Bob Eager

you can also use a water filter

it's not carcinogenic, it's classed as a nuisance dust only.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

and dyson have them built-in but I thought you needed better than home HEPA filters, the H&S at the time also stated you should wear gloves and a mask when cleaning up toner spills.

Reply to
whisky-dave

stic cleaners.

How in a vacuum cleaner ?

d cause cancer, maybe a rat was fed a toner cartridge and it died of cancer I don't know how they came to this conclusion.

Carbon black -- which the International Agency for Research on Cancer has c lassified as a 2B carcinogen, or "a dust that is possibly carcinogenic to h umans" -- is found in toner ink. While you're not exposed to it during norm al use, if a toner cartridge breaks, you may inhale it or have it touch you r skin. To avoid accidentally inhaling or touching this chemical, don a pap er breathing mask and protective gloves whenever changing the toner ink in any of your office's photocopiers or disposing of old toner ink cartridges. Carbon black inhalation may cause headaches, eye irritation, chronic itchi ness and small growths on the tongue. By extension, direct contact with the skin is likely to cause severe itchiness and irritation.

Reply to
whisky-dave

AIUI, fine solids in your lungs are always bad news (although some particulates are much worse than others).

Reply to
Adam Funk

Odd. Its about the same as diesel particulates.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wonder if fine wines and fine whisky are OK ;-)

Just wondering the definition of fine solids might be, is it like a turd i.e solid waste :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

mestic cleaners.

uld cause cancer, maybe a rat was fed a toner cartridge and it died of canc er I don't know how they came to this conclusion.

classified as a 2B carcinogen, or "a dust that is possibly carcinogenic to humans"

Everything that hasn't got tons of data is 'possibly'.

e, if a toner cartridge breaks, you may inhale it or have it touch your ski n. To avoid accidentally inhaling or touching this chemical, don a paper br eathing mask and protective gloves whenever changing the toner ink in any o f your office's photocopiers or disposing of old toner ink cartridges. Carb on black inhalation may cause headaches, eye irritation, chronic itchiness and small growths on the tongue. By extension, direct contact with the skin is likely to cause severe itchiness and irritation.

I've had lots of it on my skin, it does't iritate or itch at all. Maybe you should read the MSDS for cinnamon, then you might be a bit more realistic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

harry

Currently about £120 for a 5m hose to suit the Henry vacuum.

Reply to
Nightjar

A filter is either HEPA or it is not, irrespective of the application. It means that the filter will remove at least 99.97% of airborne particles 0.3 micrometers in diameter. A 600 dpi laser printer uses toner particles of at least 6 micrometers diameter.

Reply to
Nightjar

So it kills the airconditioning filter changing person instead?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Only if they don't have the right PPE.

Reply to