Laser printers bugger you up?

You can absorb alcohol by inhalation (I haven't tried it), but it's probably a waste of fine whisky.

You try snorting one & let us know how it goes.

Reply to
Adam Funk

On 21-Apr-17 1:56 PM, Adam Funk wrote: ...

If you stand in the blending room of a distillery when they are running whiskey down open troughs into the top of a mixing vessel, you quickly realise why the workers can only stay in there for a fairly short period

Reply to
Nightjar

domestic cleaners.

could cause cancer, maybe a rat was fed a toner cartridge and it died of ca ncer I don't know how they came to this conclusion.

as classified as a 2B carcinogen, or "a dust that is possibly carcinogenic to humans"

Yep like tobacco and even asbesdos.

use, if a toner cartridge breaks, you may inhale it or have it touch your s kin. To avoid accidentally inhaling or touching this chemical, don a paper breathing mask and protective gloves whenever changing the toner ink in any of your office's photocopiers or disposing of old toner ink cartridges. Ca rbon black inhalation may cause headaches, eye irritation, chronic itchines s and small growths on the tongue. By extension, direct contact with the sk in is likely to cause severe itchiness and irritation.

For you maybe not but that;s not everyone, as people have differnt types of skill. You should also ask hairdressers about how some chemical are fine o n one person but can kill another.

whisky-dave

no, we do have tons of data on those

why on earth would I need to ask a hairdresser about allergies? You're in your own world aren't you, one where everyone else is as clueless as you. There's no point talking about the problems with the precaustionary principle with you.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I can believe it.

Reply to
Adam Funk

And there's probably a queue outside waiting their turn to 'take the air'!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

yes tobacco has been around a bit longer than laser toner. So we have more records on it's effects. Now go back to say 20s-40s tabacco was said to be good for you. Now when we have someting like 80-100 years of laser toner use maybe we'll know more.

In my world I realise that some people can have alegeric reactions to many things and some can be quite dangerous. So when dying hair whether your own or someone elses it's a good idea to take measures to reduce exposure to ANY chemical or substance that can cause problems, only the braindead would not ony ignore them but tell others there's no such problem as they have never experinced a problem.

Reply to
whisky-dave

the data isn't being collected so we won't.

you're a moron.

Reply to
tabbypurr

So we'll never know is that it, but remmeber data wasnt; being collected for tobacco or asbesdos, it;s only when people started dying from what was then unknown that data started to be collected.

and you're an idiot and as expect4ed snipped the evidence.

Reply to
whisky-dave

The ancient Romans used asbestos and knew it was dangerous.

harry

up to your usual tricks, Harry, not reading what you link to:

"While Pliny or his nephew Pliny the Younger is popularly credited with recognising the detrimental effects of asbestos on human beings, it has been said that examination of the primary sources reveals no support for either claim".

Reply to
Chris Hogg

And they used it as a snow substitute in the early 1930s for film and stage.

But there's no evidence the romans knew it was dangerous.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I remember in the mid-1970s my dad knocked a doorway through from the utility room to the garage of our old house, and he lined the garage side of the door with a big asbestos sheet as fire-proofing. It came in a larger sheet that the door, so he cut it to size with a circular saw and sanded the cut edge smooth with a belt sander. The thought of all that asbestos dust flying around, with what we know now, is terrifying.

OK, he did it out doors and we wore dust masks but only to protect against breathing in the dust which might make us cough, like plaster dust would. We'd no idea that it was as carcinogenic as it is. Nowadays if that sort of cutting and sanding was done, it would probably be in a ventilated room with the dust captured for later disposal as hazardous waste, and proper breathing apparatus would be worn.

I know that it takes a long time for asbestos-caused cancer to appear, but my dad turns 80 next year and I'm in my mid-50s, and so far neither of us have had any ill effects.

What is used instead of asbestos nowadays for making fire-proof boarding to fasten to doors and ceilings, as a fireproof equivalent of plasterboard? How fireproof is plasterboard itself, once the outer paper sheeting has burned off? I suppose the plaster will crack and fall off if it's exposed to flames, so something a lot more fireproof is needed where a garage is joined onto a house and has habitable rooms in the roof space above it (my dad extended the bathroom into the garage roof space).

Looking back on it, that bathroom extension probably contravened a few building regs: the weight of the suspended floor, a few feet above the garage ceiling was braced onto the rafters of the garage ceiling which were a lot thinner than the ones in the real loft of the house. It had a washing machine on that suspended floor which probably made everything vibrate when it was on fast spin. The tumble drier vented its hot moist air into the garage loft. My sister and I used to play in that loft and made dens etc up there. If there had been a fire in the garage (eg an electrical fault in one of the cars) the only means of exit was through the hatch into the garage. Dad did leave a small escape hatch in the bathroom floor and told us to bash out the bits of floorboard that he'd left un-nailed as a push-fit, but since there was a carpet on the bathroom floor, we'd have had a job to knock out the floorboards and escape in an emergency....

Reply to
NY

'Masterbaord'. Its glass filled dcement IIRC

well it doesn't burn, but it crumbles.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Almost certainly it contained white asbestos (the mineral chrysotile), which is much less of a hazard than blue (crocidolite) or brown (amosite) asbestos, if it's a hazard at all over and above being dusty, white asbestos being of different chemical composition with much shorter fibres. And contained in cement, the chances of very fine long fibres finding their way down into the innermost recesses of your lungs is pretty low.

I've used Fermacell boarding. It's a gypsum board reinforced with cellulose fibres from recycled paper, but whether it's any more fireproof than traditional plasterboard, I'm not sure.

and

Chris Hogg

There seem to be two generic sorts - multiboard is glass fibre reinforced and masterboard and this seem reinforced with somnething organic

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't any microscopic fibres of glass have an irritant (though non-carcinogenic) effect on the lungs, in the same way that glass-wool loft insulation does.

Reply to
NY

Only short term, it dissolves in the lungs. Asbestos doesn't.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Glass does not dissolve

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just luck. My brother worked in a joinery shop and was exposed to asbestos in his twenties and now has signs of asbestos damage in his lungs, he is 62.

He is currently undergoing experimental treatment with stuff that enhances the immune system to attack the cancer.

Reply to
dennis