Small kitchen fire

Out of interest (considering all the bollocks that has recently been spouted) I have just had a customer on the phone following a small kitchen fire.

So this was a grill left on full with the oven/grill glass door closed and the plastic handle of the grill had melted and set on fire.

It set off the CO detector that I had installed.

Reply to
ARW

ARW explained on 09/12/2018 :

Must be an old oven/grill, because our grill shuts down if the door is closed on it...

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

That should get you a nice xmas pressie for saving their lives.

Reply to
invalid

Our 3-years old AEG states that the grill door must be closed. Of two previous ovens, one stated the door must be closed, the other that it must be open when using the grill.

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Interesting. I don't have a CO detector as I'm all-electric but maybe I should think about getting one.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

You would have thought some kind of interlock on the appliance would be in place to stop that kind of problem. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

There are cases where people have died from CO, due to fumes leaking in from a neighbouring property.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

About 5 years old and cost over £400.

Reply to
ARW

That one was not just pushed when I did the AICO installers course:-) And part of the course was them trying to get you to fit more detectors than the minimum standard.

JOOI where would you fit one if CO from a neighbours was a risk? I suppose in my case it would be the landing or hallway.

I fitted this CO in the kitchen as the boiler was in the pantry and it was not feasible to fit it in the pantry. My logic been that even if the pantry door was closed, opening the pantry door would soon set the alarm off in the kitchen if there was enough CO in the pantry.

Reply to
ARW

I went back and downloaded the info from the CO detector.

It registered 200ppm.

Reply to
ARW