Flickering Low Voltage Lights

Today I did a bit of spring maintenance and fixed a few low voltage lights that weren't working. I spliced in fresh connections and all the lights are once again working. However, one light, a spotlight, is now flickering while the others are all shining steadily. The odd thing is the flickering light was not one of the ones I repaired and is, in fact, pretty much at the opposite end of the line from the repaired ones. To clarify, it's not the very last light, there are two more path lights that follow it in the lighting sequence that are shining steadily. Any clues as to what's going on?

Reply to
fleemo17

Bad connection at the lamp, socket

Reply to
RBM

Sound like paranormal activity.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

It could be the lamp. Are these outdoor lamps, or indoor? Do they all share the same transformer or do they have individual transformers?

Assuming they are outdoor garden lights, I would look for the individual connection to the power cable.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If it is a bi-pin halogen lamp then I'd vote for a bad connection between the socket and lamp. I've had probably a dozen low-voltage lamps like this and such problems have been pretty common. For me, puck fixture failures have been the worst and I'm replacing them with Mepla Alfit which seem a bit better than the big-box trash I originally installed.

Reply to
John McGaw

earthquake plus global warming equals shake and bake? :) after a bulb swap with no results it will be time to get the multimeter out.

Reply to
buffalobill

corrosion/bad ground/loose wire/faulty transformer

That's about all there is. In the back of the lights, there are tiny crimp ons that are on the end of the wire. Those pass through plastic blocks, and sometimes those get pulled out where you cannot see if the sleeve is actually sleeving over the pin in the rear of the bulb. Or whatever connector it is supposed to sleeve over. Minute inspection with a magnifying glass is required, but since you only have it on one bulb, it should be easier than looking at every one in the string.

I had a fire detector that I purchased recently that had this problem. Slipped it on there with some needlenose pliers, and problem solved. When you find it, I'm sure it will be something very simple.

A "DOH" moment.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB