Slightly OT - Learner driver insurance

17yo male, non-pikey area, 1.4 diesel Fusion cost about 800 extra on top of the existing 400 for an Admiral multi car policy. Stayed aboput the same once he passed.
Highest quote was over 10,000!
MBQ
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 00:56:34 -0700, johno wrote:

could always try http://www.ingenie.com/ ?

There is a company that gives learners their own insurance on a monthly basis, and it is reasonably cheap whilst earning no claims bonus. You'll have to google it as I can not for the life of me remember the name, but it is not a big name company.
The problem comes when you go for the test, if you pass you can not drive home as you are no longer insured!
-- Mark BR
On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:58:00 +0100, Mark BR wrote:

I think it was maramlade - very reasonable I think it £90 for 3 months for a specific car - insurance ceases the second they pass the test - but usually this is not a problem since test is usually taken in intructors car for which he pays the insurance. Worked a traet for my step son - he passed after about 2.5 months and I dont need valium anymore :-) just a mortgage for his insurance
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
<.•°•. Nik .•°•.>

IIRC instructors won't let you drive the car back after you pass the test.
--
(\__/) M.

That's because the learners now think they can drive and do stupid things after the test. Notice I said learners.. passing a test just means you are able to continue learning on your own, not that you now perfect.
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 09:06:01 +0100, Mark wrote:

well My step sons intructor told him to drive the car home (passed on august bank holiday tis year) and I watched him drive up the road so there was no doubt about it - that is not to say th rules havent changed in the last month ....
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
<.•°•. Nik .•°•.>
Ghostrecon wrote:

I rather think it's a personal or company decision, not a rule as such. Thirty <mumble> years ago, I was allowed to drive home after my test, and my Mum, who had passed her test not long before, wasn't. Same instructor, same car.
Then again, I was also told I'd passed my PSV test before I was even asked the theory questions.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Further to my initial request, yes Lobster you are right re Saga. I got a flat no as well. They have a lower age limit of 25 and only drivers with Full licences. I have tried Moneysupermarket and been quoted anything from 1100 upwards. I am going to go with your suggestion Ghostrecon and try Maramalade. It works out at 80 per month and as she shows a good level of skill and confidence I am hoping she will pass before Christmas!! Thanks once again for some good tips guys
says...

When I passed my test, the instructor insisted on driving me home - well, to the station, actually, as I was on my way to work (late morning).
I needed the licence for the job, which resulted from a career change following redundancy.
Apart from the obvious congratulations, nothing else happened until five o'clock, when a colleague was instructed to drive me to a garage in Stepney, where I took delivery of a brand new Escort van ...
So, my first solo drive started at the height of the rush hour on a dark October night. From the garage, I turned into a side street, then joined the A13 - which was jammed solid! I recall that my first mile solo took 28 minutes ...!
One thing I wasn't prepared for was the motor-cyclists oozing between the lanes of traffic with an endless stream of headlights filling, on occasions, both mirrors.
Talk about a baptism of fire! I've always been surprised that I didn't arrive home a gibbering wreck!
--

Terry

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:58:00 +0100, Mark BR wrote:

maramalade - I did post a longer answer but get an error !!
--
(º•.¸(¨*•.¸ ¸.•*¨)¸.•º)
<.•°•. Nik .•°•.>
On 26/09/2011 17:58, Mark BR wrote:

It's advisable not to drive home after passing a test anyway, as the elation can be very distracting - supposedly it's not all that rare an occurrence to either crash, be done or even banned for something on the way home!
SteveW
On Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:51:12 +0100, Steve Walker

IIRC statistically you are most likely to have a crash within the first month of passing your test. Therefore you should refrain from driving for a month ;-)
--
(\__/) M.

http://metro.coveredlearnerdriver.com /
Saw this in the paper the other week and made a note of it for my own little cherub in April.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Which bit of the small print did you not read? It's a Metro reader offer valid until 31st Jan.
MBQ
On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:35:33 -0800 (PST), "Man at B&Q"

In that case take the metro bit out and replace it with www (which I probably should have done anyway) There are apparently lots of companies offering this sort of insurance for learner drivers.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk