What was this...?

In Hong Kong at the moment, in one of the more budget accomodations in a relatively run down building (New Lucky House) - and the owner just came to my room with an officially dressed person who wanted to test something in my room using a hand held probe.

Yellow, with a mono LCD numerical readout and two sharp prongs, she pressed it to the wall at a number of random locations and to the grout between tiles, and lights flashed green and red and she noted the readings in her book.

What was the purpose of these measurements? Anyone know?

Reply to
Jake

Testing for damp in the walls.

SteveW

Steve Walker

Do these look familiar?

Andy Burns

Sorry, that was meant to be an image search

Andy Burns

Damp by the sound of it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Its the secret police checking you out by pretending to check for damp.

Reply to
dennis

Probity probe.

Don't find out where they put if you fail to pay the bill.

Reply to
Dom Ostrowski

Looking for cobalt 60? :-)

The Natural Philosopher

Whilst in the Marco Polo hotel in Hong Kong last year a lady knocked, entered, sprayed something into the room, said "its for the smell" and walked out. Still mystified by that one.

Your experience was most probably a damp meter.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

Heh, we once had, in a Formule 1 motel in France, a 'handyman' come in, take our bags out of the wardrobe, remove the wardrobe and replace it with a bigger one!

The manager came in with him, asked us to stand aside and not worry while he did it .. It was a bit surreal as it was at about 1am and we had had a couple of drinks, not drunk by any stretch but happy, and about 10 minutes later another knock on the door and a chambermaid came in to change the bed-clothes, as we were already awake!!

Not certain as to what your man was doing other than the instrument sounds like the damp-meter I use to check our caravan walls with .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx