Anyone buy their health insurance?

Just wondering what type of increases everyone is getting.

I have a family of four with BCBS of Florida. In 2010 we had a 7.7% increase. In 2011 we had a 8.1% increase. In 2012 we had a 19.4% increase. In 2013 we had a 21.0% increase.

I think the last two years large increases are because of Obamacare. Seems to be a lot of articles to back that up.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

While I don't pay for most of the cost, seems so. My copayments certainly have gone up. Seems like high copayments work at keeping people from getting treatment.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Hi, Whoa! We don't have any payment other than paying 20% of prescription cost as seniors. Some other meds. are supplied free. 2 years ago I came home after 2 week Caribbean cruise, became violently sick right away. I picked up some tropical disease. 2 weeks hospital stay doing all kind of tests, blood culture, X-ray, CAT scan, MRI, 6 weeks home care w/ weekly visit of a nurse. Did not cost anything for me.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If health care is included in your package from the company, you pay for it. It's just that it doesn't show on your paystub. If they weren't paying health care, they could put more money in your check. That's how devious the tax system is, makes people think the employer pays for stuff. You should listen to Rush Limbaugh explain it.

While I don't pay for most of the cost, seems so. My copayments certainly have gone up. Seems like high copayments work at keeping people from getting treatment.

Greg

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

[...]

I agree. I have a $10,000 deductible with BCBS and contribute to an HSA. The money in the HSA is my money and I spend it wisely. I got the $10,000 deductible about 5 years ago when I got notice that my insurance premium was increaseing to $9,900. I had a $2,500 deductible, I found that by raising it to $10,000 my premium dropped to $4,300, a savings of $5,600 dollars.

I was hoping to see some numbers showing how much your insurance has increased. I only want to know if you have an individual plan, not a group/company plan. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I have a family of four with BCBS of Florida. In 2010 we had a 7.7% increase. In 2011 we had a 8.1% increase. In 2012 we had a 19.4% increase. In 2013 we had a 21.0% increase.

I think the last two years large increases are because of Obamacare. Seems to be a lot of articles to back that up.

Mikek

I have retire in 2003 as I was retiring We me and my wife received notice from NJ BCBS that premiums will go up from $1900. per month to $2300. per month both of us was cover by type (J) coverage wit $1500. deductible I will not blame any individual administration but the whole Legislative system with too many crooks collecting salaries do nothing It should be mandatory retirement for they don't want retire because all is paid for them by tax payer.

Reply to
Tony944

Aren't you in Canada? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Recall Standard Oil, the railroad trust? And that's just the short list.

Reply to
NotMe

Just looking over my paperwork, I had a 19.4% increase on 5-25-12 and a

21.0% increase on 7-26-13, That works out to 44.5% increase in 14 months. This sucks! Mikek
Reply to
amdx

Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, for the past two years I've gotten refund checks from my health insurance company. So has my mom.

And in my state, the cost for even the platinum-level health care plans will be cheaper than what my sister's been paying for her COBRA coverage - and with a lower deductible, to boot. Another sister has been so relieved that she's been able to keep her son on her health insurance even after he turned 18, since under the ACA children can be covered to age 26.

There are an awful lot of people benefiting from the ACA as it has been gradually phased in over the past few years.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

What company are you with? What state? I have not ran across anyone that has lower healthcare costs, you are the first, give me some details. I want to find out how I can lower my costs. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Insurance companies are Medica and HealthPartners. State is Minnesota. ACA requires insurance companies to issue rebates to their customers when they fall short of spending the legal minimum of premium dollars on health care and quality improvement expenses. For individual and small group plans, eighty cents of every premium dollar has to go for that, or get rebated back. For large group plans, it's eighty five cents.

The first year we got the rebate checks, there was nothing accompanying the checks. We opened the envelopes and were basically, What the hell? Called our insurance companies and got it explained to us.

BTW, a poster "I received a phone call from the company who manages our company benefits yesterday. She was calling to inform me that she just received word from Anthem that on 01/01/14 we will be renewing our policy and that our monthly premium will DECREASE by 20%. That is a savings for my company and employees of $600.00 a month. Add to that the very generous tax credit we will receive for insuring our employees, we will be saving over $10K a year. Since our annual increases ranged between 0-5% over the last ten years, our premium will go back to where they were in 2007."

Here's the thing: if we can hold the line on health cost increases, or even lower them, we will make this country's companies more competitive in the global market. Something that hurts US businesses now is the fact that most other countries provide government-funded health care, which gives their companies a competitive advantage to US firms that are providing health care benefits. Hell, Toyota passed on Alabama and chose Canada instead to build a plant a few years ago. Their execs said straight out it was because the cost of providing health insurance to Alabama workers would have been costlier than paying the higher wages to the Canadian unionized workers.

Reply to
Moe DeLoughan

I don't get it? You are happy with your insurance company because they overcharged you so much that they gave you some of your money back? The government forced that.

Is that $600.00 per month per employee or just for the company? If that is $600.00 per employee, that's premium of $3000.00 per employee per month. I'm bitching because mine has hit $633 per month for a family of four. (The qualifier is a $10,000 deductible) If it's $600.00 for the company it a pittance.

Which is it?

Reply to
amdx

Wait for the other shoe to drop then all those who think Obama Care is so great will get slammed with all the hidden features of the law. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Since there was no response, I'm pretty sure his company was buying him a $3000.00 per month insurance policy. I'm not surprised the insurance company had to rebate some money and found a way to reduce the premium. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

One change is that insurance companies can't deny you coverage if you have a preexisting condition.

I paid for my first child's birth costs because my new employer didn't cover the "preexisting condition" of the pregnancy.

About half the states already have that law on the books, and in those states insurance costs don't go up.

Other states don't, and it will be a bit more expensive for the insurance companies, and they'll pass those costs on.

Reply to
TimR

That's the problem, they're passing them on to me. That's why I've had a 44.5% increase in 14 months. Actually the normal increases would be about 15.5%. So an additional 29% has been passed on to me. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

In the long run it should end up cheaper for you, unless there is some insu rance company trickery.

Let me explain. The fundamental principle of insurance is shared risk.

Think about it, we don't need insurance for that occasional doctor visit or semiannual blood pressure check. We'd be far better off paying cash than o ur monthly insurance premium. We need insurance for a hospitalization, maj or illness, serious accident, etc. We have to share that risk with a big e nough pool of other insured people. A small company can't do it, a large c orporation can. The larger the pool, the cheaper the cost for each individ ual. The largest possible pool is the entire US population. That scares t he insurance companies to death, because if anyone ever realized it, their profits would tumble. And that's what Affordable Care is designed to do, r equire everybody to be insured.

And that's why it's mandatory, which none of us like. And there isn't a si ngle other provision within it that we don't all like. (except for the bog us ones we keep hearing about, which don't exist)

Reply to
TimR