Slightly OT - Learner driver insurance

Insurance pricing is odd.. I recently looked around on the comparison sites for a cheaper policy for the wife. When I put her in on her own it came back as £580. When I added myself as a named driver it dropped to £280. Neither of us have made a claim or had an accident in 30 years (the only previous claim was for a stolen radio).

Its with direct line now as it was cheaper than the comparison sites.

I also noticed that it costs more to insure my corsa than it does the wife's Astra even though the corsa has a smaller engine, lower top speed, etc. They appear to think they are more likely to get stolen or something.

Reply to
dennis

That's because the learners now think they can drive and do stupid things after the test. Notice I said learners.. passing a test just means you are able to continue learning on your own, not that you now perfect.

Reply to
dennis

Maybe the Corsa would suffer more damage and cost more to repair than the Astra in an identical crash.

Or maybe the smaller cars result in more personal injury claims than bigger cars as the occupants are not as well protected.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Maybe the Corsa is newer?

Reply to
Mark

well My step sons intructor told him to drive the car home (passed on august bank holiday tis year) and I watched him drive up the road so there was no doubt about it - that is not to say th rules havent changed in the last month ....

Reply to
Ghostrecon

I rather think it's a personal or company decision, not a rule as such. Thirty years ago, I was allowed to drive home after my test, and my Mum, who had passed her test not long before, wasn't. Same instructor, same car.

Then again, I was also told I'd passed my PSV test before I was even asked the theory questions.

Reply to
John Williamson

Assuming you get caught and convicted and then have the resources to pay and more than =A310/week (on the dole guv, family of five to keep fed... etc etc)

Like has been said high insurance premiums are a very strong incentive not to have insurance, particulary if you don't have a big income or any savings. As for a valid licence, if people are driving without insurance then driving without a valid licence is small fry. Same for MOT and tax...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think the Corsa is considered a boy racers car, you often see them with aftermarket alloys, stereos more powerful than the engine, chav lights, and ice cream scoops fitted front and rear. Wouldn't be surprised if only a small percentage tell their insurance companies about the mods.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

I've been happy with customer service from Aviva for quite a while. Couple of accidents, arranging hire cars, etc no problems and UK call center.

Is it the Co-op that has a GPS unit that monitors your driving, automagically uploads the data and that allows them to adjust your insurance permium accordingly. Drive like a lunatic and your premium goes up, drive "sensibly" and it goes down.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Further to my initial request, yes Lobster you are right re Saga. I got a flat no as well. They have a lower age limit of 25 and only drivers with Full licences. I have tried Moneysupermarket and been quoted anything from =A31100 upwards. I am going to go with your suggestion Ghostrecon and try Maramalade. It works out at =A380 per month and as she shows a good level of skill and confidence I am hoping she will pass before Christmas!! Thanks once again for some good tips guys

Reply to
johno

Yes, sometimes wonder why do we bother to work hard, buy a house, attempt to save for rainy days, stay on the right side of the law etc. when so many fritter it all away on cider and cigs etc, get multiple slappers pregnant and will live on handouts from the state (i.e you and me) for the rest of their lives.

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

The corsa is five years, the astra six months.

Reply to
dennis

That's why lots of youngsters resort to fronting.

They really do want to be insured but cannot afford it.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I don't believe that having a newer car automatically makes the insurance more expensive.

Of course females tend to have cheaper insurance than men.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Not automatically. However a much newer car may be worth more and hence attract a higher premium.

Not for much longer.

Reply to
Mark

In many cases the value of the car is not important. A new car has more safety devices to protect the occupants and so keeps the personal injury costs down.

I know, I have seen the news on that one.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

But there would be more to payout if the car was stolen or written off. The value that I give my car does effect the premium so it's in one's interest to keep it as low as possible.

Reply to
Mark

It's only odd because life is odd ... actuaries (who make accountants look positively decadent) sit on mountains of data cut every which way. Clearly the pricing engine has an actuarial table which says that 2 drivers in your circumstances have a lower risk than one. Possibly because fewer men have accidents when they are not driving alone (and the engine assumes your 2 driver quote implies you will be accompanied, whereas a single-driver quote doesn't).

People often confuse why they insure a car ... it's all about the damage it can do ... so again the actuarial records will show that Corsas cause more damage (i.e. cost the insurer more) than Astras.

Reply to
Jethro

Premiums are only slightly concerned with fixing a car under fully comp ... it's all about the damage the car (and driver) can do to 3rd parties ...

Not really ... most car insurance is concerned with what *your* car (in your hands) will do to someone else.

Reply to
Jethro

Only for fully comp. Most kids would have to consider TP (prolly sans F&T) as a necessity

Reply to
Jethro