skip diving - whats the best you have rescued?

I was going to ask that too, but then I thought would we really understand the answer?

Reply to
mike

At 45mph she represents a hazard to other road users.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Verbatum from the Road Traffic Act 1991, verified by my daughters boyfriend who is a sargeant in the Kent Police;

Careless, and inconsiderate, driving "If a person drives a mechanically propelled vehicle on a road or other public place without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road or place, he is guilty of an offence."

Anything you don't understand there f****it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Oh, look, a handy c'n'p of the references from the bottom of Highway Code rule 253. Which, by the way, doesn't mention any minimum achievable speed.

Any links to any of those? The only ones of those I've found online (HA80 s16, s17) also don't contain any mention of a speed.

I notice you conveniently forget to mention what that minimum speed is.

So - what is this minimum speed?

Reply to
Adrian

You are unlikely to get a reply Adrian, because the wanker doesn't know. He simply makes stuff up to suit his arguments and if caught out he ignores the thread.

Complete tosspot.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I don't actually remember, however all motorway slip roads used to have a sign telling you what wasn't allowed on the road. I haven't seen one for years. The speed was about 40 mph IIRC.

Reply to
dennis

There are lots of motorway vehicles that travel at that sort of speed. The hazard was that she was wandering about not driving too slow.

Reply to
dennis

Nowhere does that say 45 mph is too slow.

What are you trying to prove? We already know you are a foul mouthed yob who smokes too much and rips of old ladies.

Reply to
dennis

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Here's a free clue. That HC rule that you cut'n'pasted the list of applicable laws from gives the classes of vehicles which are and aren't allowed on m'ways. That's the sum total of legal restrictions and requirements.

Here's another free clue. There's a time to graciously admit when you're wrong. For you, in this subthread, that time is about now.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No, you sad waste of space,I find people who sail down the middle lane at 60 very annoying

I only stay in the overtaking lanes if there is another vehicle close enough in front of me to make it not worthwhile pulling in

And, yes, I did 120 in the inside lane of the M1 today, perfectly safely

I'm not superior - just obviously better than you, as you obviously seem obsessed with rules and formulae for how to drive. Like with everything else you do, there seems to be no natural ability there, no talent or feeling for how to do things - no inspiration

Just a tedious, regimented little person who has never flourished, but managed to muddle through

Reply to
geoff

In message , Adrian writes

Lets not forget that attitudes have changed in the past 50 years, driving at, say, 20 mph in a 30 mph zone has become socially unacceptable

Reply to
geoff

A road near us had numerous accidents, some fatal. The limit was 60 and except in severe weather, it was perfectly possible to drive it at 60 without feeling too uncomfortable, although I tended to around 50. The accidents always involved people trying to do 80 or 90. The sensible solutions would have been either a speed camera at the fastest point or reduction in the limit (on the basis that most people are unwilling to do more than a certain amount over the limit), instead we got a reduction in the speed limit to 40 and a camera situated on the only safe overtaking point. Surely one or the other could have been tried before resorting to both.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Wrong? I know that some agricultural vehicles can use the motorway and some can't. Its the speed they are capable of that decides (as well as being taxed as a commercial and not using red). Anyway it doesn't really matter to me so if you want to go and look feel free.

Reply to
dennis

Back when I was a learner and again when I was training to be an instructor, I was taught that vehicles must be able to maintain a minimum speed of 30mph to be allowed to use a motorway.

It's just reminded me of a company I worked for where the foreman once drove a crane (not on motorways) with a maximum speed of 12mph from Manchester to a job in Cornwall!

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The signs on the motorway slip roads had the classes of vehicle not permitted. 50cc engines and under, invalid carriages, bicycles and horse drawn vehicles. Never had any speed signs. Ever

Reply to
Alang

That is some what of a "catch all". What legislation directly enforces a requirement to drive at over 45 mph on a motorway?

Same here, they can't really have an excuse that they haven't seen me in a Land Rover FFS but they seem to object to my horn and headlights when they pull in with their back end 6' from my front doing 50 when I'm doing 60...

A road design can be a bit poor there is one entrance slip in Leeds that I always avoid. It's too short, even when I was driving a car with a bit more go than the LR. Not helped by it being on a gentle left hand bend and in a cutting so you can't see anything in lane 1 until you are more or less in the final 20yds of slip road. And being in a cutting there is no hard shoulder to abort down if you need to.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Without rules, he just cannot function.

Reply to
Clot

I plead guilty to the charge of diverting this thread. No doubt Dennis will advise us as to which statute I have contravened. :)

Reply to
Clot

"dennis@home" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Exactly. It's much more than just the speed, as you claimed. Even then, it's very different to "all vehicles", as you claimed.

It's as close as we're going to get to an apology, I s'pose.

Reply to
Adrian

There is a place on my commute to work where the speed limit was recently reduced from NSL (60) to 40. On a bridge over a motorway.

I can only assume it was reduced because the adjacent 30 had been extended, and the NSL section to the next 40 is now too short for some regulation.

I can imagine no other reason why it is set like that.

It's also been pointed out that the limit, even at the hazard, averages

5mph too low because they set it to the next 10MPH below the actual safe speed.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ