skip diving - whats the best you have rescued?

As is the expectations of Joe Pubic. Once upon a time it was YOUR fault if you let a child play in the road and /or rush out between parked cars to retrieve a football/chase the pet cat etc.

Now its the motorists fault for not doing 5mph.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The default urban 30mph limit was introduced to the UK in 1935.

Hydraulic brakes were a real novelty at the time, and older stuff still on the roads would still not have had front wheel brakes.

Reply to
Adrian

Well quite. If rather more people adopted the practice of making use of items that other people no longer wanted or needed then perhaps we wouldn't be arguing the toss about which type of lightbulb saves tuppence-ha'penny in energy costs.

By far and away the biggest problem associated with skips is that of other people putting stuff in - as referenced by the episode of 'One Foot in the Grave' in which Meldrew finds a 2CV in his skip.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

It's a shame when that happens. But I've seen pikeys empty skips on to the road in search of metal and then drive off leaving crap everywhere. I called the police about one of them when I saw he had a load of road signs in the back with the council's name clearly stencilled on them. It'd be nice to think he had his hands cut off but I'm sure we all just paid for some more road signs.

Reply to
mike

Any data on the braking distance of such vehicles? Things have come a long way in 70+ years.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I got some 10ft 8x4 floor joists, brand new breeze blocks, 2m lengths of guttering and downpipe and yards and yards of tiling batons (which was handy as I'd just run out of tiling baton) all from the same skip. Couldn't believe they just wanted rid.

Is it really more economical for them to pay to have it dumped than to take it to the next job?

Do the skip companies sell it on rather than landfilling it?

And is it true the skip hire is cheaper if you fill the skip with just hardcore or topsoil rather than general waste?

Reply to
mike

Yup. The skip companies don't promote the idea obviously, but if you ask they will do them cheaper. They can sell top soil & hardcore rather than having to pay to tip it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

"The Medway Handyman" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No. But it's not going to be even vaguely comparable with anything modern.

Including large Edwardian cars with the brakes full on.

Reply to
Adrian

Savvy skip hire companies ought to employ their own totters.

It would have to be conditional on the contents being marked "free to good home" (and how do you know the sign's genuine?) It's not unusual to see, for example, a wheelbarrow and a couple of planks on top ready for tomorrow, and I suspect the I-beam someone mentioned was only there as the most convenient place to store it, as well as to save lifting it from ground level.

Since you had actually asked the builder, there would have been no problem, but if you hadn't... Personally, I wouldn't have the nerve to ask, but I've never found anything that couldn't be picked up "on the run".

Chris

Reply to
chrisj.doran

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen Howard saying something like:

Best place for them.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember mike saying something like:

Overall, probably. Somebody would have to be paid to keep an eye on what's going into it and sorting it out and keeping it clean and making sure it was kept aside undamaged, then arranging for it to be used. Too much hassle, for the majority of materials.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

snipped-for-privacy@proemail.co.uk gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Considering it'd got bits of old scrap wood and other s**te piled on/ around it, I don't think so.

Reply to
Adrian

Grimly Curmudgeon gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Pfft.

Reply to
Adrian

best find was a brand new stainless cooker hood, others - two rolls of shrink wrapped loft insulation (just as I was working on loft a 240v fwd and reverse drill that needed new brushes (which cost =A32.50) loads of other stuff I can't remember

Reply to
ScrewMaster

if well set up, pretty good.

Capable of locking all 4 skinny trues anyway.

Better brakes became more relevant as speeds increased, not to actually reduce stopping distances that much from modest speed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Stephen Howard writes

I liberated an A0 plotter once - never used it though

Reply to
geoff

... and old VW Beetles...

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

That is why they need the speed traps, because you and others don't comprehend.

Like when the speed limit is set lower than you want to drive?

You are lucky I was forced to stop as it was impossible to see five feet the rain was so heavy. Of course I choose a good spot under a bridge some of the others just stopped where they were.

Because she is allowed to drive at 45 mph on a motorway. You lack of understanding of the law appears to be a problem.

That isn't speeding, its driving without due care and attention! You were allowed to be done for speeding as a let off.

Reply to
dennis

I have known several places say no. My local staples said no when I wanted some bits of desk.

I expect that less people will say no now that it costs money to dump stuff.

Reply to
dennis

When I took over a music shop in Notting Hill the other two owners and I hired a skip to dispose of all the old junk in the basement. For three days we filled the skip to the brim during the day, but come the morning almost all of what we'd put in had been removed and had been replaced with other junk. By the time the lorry came to collect the skip there was barely anything in it out of our basement.

For about three months afterwards we had people coming in with the junk they'd liberated out of the skip with a view to having it repaired ( we were all repairers so what we threw out was well beyond economic repair ) - and in almost every case they'd concoct a story about how the instrument had been passed down through the family, or been bought by them many years ago. In some cases people had cobbled instruments together out of entirely different bits, the worst examples being violins with necks and fingerboards nailed to the instrument.

The strings guy got so fed up with it all that he called out a punter after having to listen to a particularly elaborate story about a cheap and nasty violin that had quite clearly come out of our skip. A 'right royal ding-dong' ensued, but the punter absolutely refused to back down - even when it was pointed out that he claimed family ownership of the instrument some 40 years before it had actually been built.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard