sink to trap seals

Installed a sink with a chrome trap. Sink, waste and trap are all from different sources but none of the kit included a seal for the joint between the waste and the trap. Plastic traps have seals built in but the chrome ones don't. I put it all together without a seal and, predictably, it leaks. Sorting through my collection of bits and even buying a few to try, I have yet to find anything to do the job. I have some O-rings the right size (I assume 32mm OD but should have measured that shouldn't I?), but they displace as soon as the joint is tightened as the mating faces are quite narrow. It looks more like a case for a flat washer-type seal to me but I'm buggered if I can find one in the sheds (where I can match the O-ring size to the over-priced plastic packs). I'm half-tempted to just silicone it all but there must be a way to do this properly without resorting to cutting up an old bicycle inner tube or something. The real answer is to go to the PMs but they're only open during the day and there's no chance of getting free during the day this week.

Any suggestions chaps?

Reply to
GMM

the traditional material is Plumbers Mait.

My attitude is "sod that malarkey" and I use MS Polymer sealant.

YMMV.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I had all sorts of leaking issues with mine, then I followed a recommendation for something called a Basin Mate (Google it). It has a rubber cone washer that is forced into the underneath of the sink hole when you tighten the back nut. Not a drop has leaked since I fitted one.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

You want to trap seals? That's just mean.

Reply to
Ivan Dobsky

It should have come with one - they normally do, but as it didn't you could pinch the seal from one of these:

I'm sure they are available from somewhere for less than that, but it should work.

andrew

Agree about Basin Mate - bloody brilliant.

I think the OP's problem is that the joint between the waste & the trap is missing a seal though.

LSX?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

ld pinch the seal from one of these:

Well spotted Andrew. Most plastic fittings have an O-ring there but this looks like just the thing, even if it will produce another piece that might come in useful, but never does, to clutter the garage with (!). Thanks

Reply to
GMM

Spot on Dave: I fitted a Basin Mate after seeing your recent post on them. Got a spare as well, so that next time I fit a sink I can wander around the garage swearing and failing to find it. I found it a bit hard to fit, with only a plastic back nut to pull it in, but it's hard to imagine it will ever leak (famous last words!). I thought of LSX here, or perhaps tacking an O-ring to the face with LSX, but have been hoping to use a 'proper' seal in case it needs to come apart again. It seems odd that the sheds etc don't have this one available, given the range of other stuff that's available, but it looks like the best bet will be to butcher the fitting Andrew suggested, if I can get to a TS.

Reply to
GMM

pinch the seal from one of these:

that's what I did years ago. pirated a seal from another piece of old kit.

the other option is to make a gasket with silicone. screw down nut till it squidges out all round, leave 24 hours, cut off surplus with a modelling knife and tighten down.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher