Mild tingling sensation from metal light switch?

Is it normal to feel a very mild buzzing/tingling sensation from a metal light switch plate? You can only feel it if you gently run a finger at right angles to the 'grain' on the brushed metal surface. There's only one in the house, so I can't compare it to any others. It all looks fine inside the box.
Ivan Dobsky wrote:

Fine includes the backbox having an earth connection, presumably? Does the switch have a double insulated "square within a square" logo on it?

Yes, the box is earthed. I'll have to check for the logo later.
I forgot to mention that there are several metal mains outlets that do not feel like this, so I have to assume something's wrong.

Just because it has an earth wire doesn't mean it's actually earthed. Could be a break in the wiring elsewhere. You need to check the earth at that point - or have it checked professionally.

Do you mean sockets? At one time it wasn't required to have an earth circuit connected on lighting circuits - even although TW&E cable was used. 3 pin sockets have always required an earth connection.
--
*Puritanism: The haunting fear that someone, somewhere may be happy.

London SW

On 03/06/2013 10:06, Ivan Dobsky wrote:

No. It suggests that the metal isn't earthed and a leakage path to live.
I expect it will also light one of those neon screwdrivers we are not supposed to use any more due to strange elfin safety rulz.
--
Regards,
Martin Brown

The only one I have has a battery in it (so you can use it to test fuses and things), and seems to light up whatever you touch.

On 03/06/2013 10:14, Martin Brown wrote:

Doesn't suggest that to me. If it was live, a static finger should feel it, and there would not be a grain direction effect. Sounds to me like a mechanical phenomenon. Easy check would be a DVM (on AC volts setting) between the plate and an earth. Typical DVM impedance should be high enough to show some voltage if the leakage current is enough to feel.
On 07/06/2013 17:14, newshound wrote:

Sounds *exactly* like the effect noticed on Apple computers with aluminium cases and non-earthed power supplies. If earthed, the tingling disappears. So it seems very unlikely to be a mechanical phenomenon.
--
Rod

I'd bet that the earth connection in the switch box isn't connected there or at the other end of the cable and all this is, is just Capactive leakage..
--
Tony Sayer

On 07/06/2013 22:04, tony sayer wrote:

Some of the Apple power supplies are earthed when used with a cable but not when plugged directly in. (Hmm, think it is that way round...) So simply by using/not using the cable you can switch the tingle on and off.
--
Rod

On 07/06/2013 19:11, polygonum wrote:

Yup, I have noted it on metal chassis equipment in the past... You can normally sense it on some touch dimmers.
--
Cheers,

John.
On Monday 03 June 2013 10:06 Ivan Dobsky wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Barring some really weird problem, my conclusion is:
Your earthing is buggered to that switch.
Get it checked IMMEDIATELY by someone competant...
It's not "normal" - it's presumed dangerous.

Thanks, everyone. I'll get it checked.
Previous owner said the kitchen (including electrics) was fitted by Moben, and seemed quite proud of it. A few things I've seen in there don't impress me very much.
On Monday 03 June 2013 10:28 Ivan Dobsky wrote in uk.d-i-y:

There may be a causal link between "Moben" and "not impressed"...

There just might be. The most annoying thing is the waste pipe under the sink that goes upwards an inch or so before it goes outside. The hot/cold plumbing under the sink seems unnecessarily complicated, too. It's like a pile of trombones under there. There's a twin socket right under this lot, too. I'm sure there should be something covering them, in case there's a leak under the sink.

Kitchen fitters make shit electricians. One bloody idiot was quite happy to have the dishwasher and w/machine both plugged into a 4-way trailing outlet left under the kickboard. Said 4-way was hard-wired into the back of a double socket. Ffs.

I can believe it. It all looks very nice from the front, as it were; but behind and underneath, there are a few things I wouldn't have done.
However the long runs of water pipe seems to be normal and possibly to help with the flexing on g the modern thin mountings for the taps so they do not break a joint!
Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active