Should a standard 'yale' type lock need to be turned back to extract the key?

My daughter's house has a standard 'yale' type lock on the side door, one that slams shut and opens with an ordinary 'yale' key.

When the key has been turned far enough to open the door it needs to go a *long* way back to extract the key, it's not just back to the point at which the latch is released, it's 180 degrees or more.

Is this normal or has it been installed wrong somehow? I don't remember having to 'unwind' other keys so much to get them out.

Reply to
Chris Green

It's due to the design of the mechanism on the inside of the door. Some are like that.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Yes, that's possible, it feels like having to wind the bolt out but isn't actually doing anything. No space in the handle/door bit anyway for a long withdrawal.

Good idea, it's not that old, thanks.

Reply to
Chris Green

You may be able to change this by removing the cylinder, turning it 180 and putting it back

Reply to
F Murtz

This is fairly normal behaviour on some eurolocks on PVC or Aluminium doors and relates to the design of the bolts and latches.

Shouldn't happen with a Yale nightlatch on a wooden door.

Sounds like you have a hybrid?

Reply to
newshound

But some Yale locks thwart that without an explicit deadlock action being required.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Hardly. My front door lock is BS3621. It only has a keyed action from the inside.

But it can't be carded. The main bolt will not retract under external pressure if the door is closed. There is a secondary locking plunger that prevents that.

Bob Eager

In practice he would need to remove the latch from the inside, insert a flat screwdriver in the back of the latch and rotate it 180 deg CW, then re-assemble.

Reply to
Graham.