Shed door - Cheapish timber

Hi al. Looking through Build Center timber catalogue. Is redwood pse a good choice for shed door (will see plenty of rain) (looking at G06552 for stiles) 44m x 94mm) for the stiles.

Using thermowood 25mm PMV T&G cladding to fill.

2 coats of undercoat and good gloss to finnish.

Adequate or no?

Arthur

Reply to
51

Any "build center" is an expensive place to buy poor timber, compared to a real timberyard. Search!

"Redwood" is a bit of a catch-all term for a number of species, especially in bludgers' merchants. Sequoia (real redwood) would be ideal. Eastern Red Cedar also a good choice. Douglas Fir is probably your most likely candidate and would be OK too -- better constructionally and for strength, not quite so weatherproof. Larch is great for building sheds, but it's a bit prone to twist and so I wouldn't use it for a door unless I could choose the boards.

Spruces, hemlock and pines are what you want to avoid.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Supposed to refer to European Redwood (Pinus sylvestris) which is the standard softwood that forms 90% of what you see in the average timber merchant. PSE means Planed Square Edged (though why anyone would bother planing and not having a square edge I can't imagine)

Sequoia (real redwood) would be

Even redwood will last quite well if it can dry out after it gets wet. Fencing only usually rots at the bottom where it sits in water or the sun doesn't reach it

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Redwood as an industry standard varies from whitewood in that it will absorb preservative and the grain will give a better finish.

Whitewood is used in first fix and red in second fix. Joinery quality redwood is any of the species used in that class which has few knots and no dead knots.

It's the knots you need to watch out for. You'd best check a search engine for grading timber before choosing but there isn't that much to look for if you have the time and the choice.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Good info. Thanks gents.

Arthur