Drilling through concrete and timber combination

Are there such things as masonry drill bits that will cut wood too?

I need to drill an approx 300mm x 25mm hole through concrete that has a

50mm-ish block of timber embedded half way.

I don't particularly want to burn my way through the wood with expensive masonry bits

I don't particularly want to destroy expensive wood bits with concrete.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Vortex

I've often seen demos (at Ideal Home shows etc.) of drills bits which purport to drill through everything in sight - including steel, masonry, wood etc. - but I have a natural suspicion of such demos, so I've never bought any.

Has anyone else taken the plunge? Do they *really* do what they claim to do?

Reply to
Set Square

I actually need to drill 2 holes. This morning I took the plunge, intending to start with an 8mm bit, then 12mm, then 18mm, then 25mm.

I succeeded in drilling one hole, in the process destroying one 8mm and 2 x12mm (20 quids worth) of bits. Only when the hole was big enough to look into did I see the wood!

My drill (Bosch 550 watt) now smells like a burnt plastic bag as well.

Unless there is a "magic" drill bit available then methinks it's time to invest in some SDS technology, and for the second hole I'll excavate a huge hole (to reveal the wood), probably sacrifice a high speed wood bit (to get through the wood) then masonry thereafter.

David.

Reply to
Vortex

IMHO, if it's proper concrete, SDS is the only thing that will touch it.

If it's a 25mm hole you're after, drill the concrete with a masonry bit till you hit the wood, then swap to a flat wood bit - they're cheap and easy to re-sharpen. You can get extensions if it's not long enough.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

Masonry bit in SDS, goes straight through joist then wall (brick in my case) then small gap then second joist. The hammer action pushes it through the timber with no impediment, have to be a bit careful about excessive breakout on the far side of the timber.

Reply to
Toby

SDS drill bits will go through anything including the armor on wiring so buy a detector with your drill.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

Sounds like the voice of experience ! !

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I have a couple of combination drill bits (from Screwfix IIRC). They have a gold coloured thread. Very good through masonry and better than a masonry bit through wood.

Reply to
stuart noble

"stuart noble"

Reply to