Segmented screws?

You can buy machine screws to attach handles to kitchen cupboard doors that are 'segmented', e.g they have a turned section at regular intevals so they can be snapped to length.

I'm sure I've bought them from Screwfix or maybe Toolstation before, but can't seem to find them.

Have I got the name right?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Breakaway or break-away screws I think they are called .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

=================================== Snap-off screws:

Cicero

Snapoff screws. But your perfectly reasonable assumption about them is untrue... see Screws on

meow2222

You might have quoted the direct link:-)

NOSPAMnet

Thanks a bunch matey.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

diameter (4mm) ones can be snapped easily - I've done it often. The SF site also states that you can.

It appears there are two types of snap off screw then, should we add this to the Wiki?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Is that "easily" as in Haynes manuals?

"Easily - apply wrench, turn gently with both hands and feet. Repair knuckles. Beat with hammer, apply gentle heat from an oxy acetylene cutting torch, apply salve to hands and face. Use 12" angle grinder on remaining stub". Sell vehicle.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Once we've got this all settled, sure. I just measured the cylinder lock screws @ 4.2mm od, so I guess the difference is just down to manufacturing quality. Are these actually the same diameter and thread, just different length? Someone got both types to compare?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The SF cupboard ones are described as 4mm. Perhaps its the depth of the segments?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Maybe. I wondered if they were less soft - the cylinder lock ones seem to be just mild steel, very soft.

OK, just compared the screwfix pic with some soft cylinder jobs, and the depth of the segments is the same, so I guess it must just be the metal treatment. Presumably the bendy ones are a cost saving measure.

Will update the wiki some time after Monday.

cheers, NT

Reply to
meow2222

BTW you don't really 'snap' these screws. Its a case of gripping either side of a segment with two pairs of pliers an bending them up & down a few times. More wiggle than snap :-)

Highly likely they are softer, not under much stress just holding a cupboard knob on.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Maybe thats where I went wrong. Still I don't suppose I'll find out any time soon. Hopefully.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I could pop a couple in the post if it helps?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman