Fence panel clips -- I must be thick ...

Hi all

I'm replacing two 6x6 panels in a wind-struck fence.

I can't really use the normal U-shape panel clips, because it would be extremely difficult to raise a panel high enough to slot down into the gap between two posts.

So I've been looking at these:

However I can't for the life of me work out how to fix them [properly]. (Can't google any website that shows them in use, and the guys at Wickes didn't know either.)

There is a big "lip" with a hole in, presumably so that you can get your screwdriver through the hole in order to fix the clip to the post. (You can't see them in the pic, but there's a screwhole lined up with that hole, and there are two screwholes in the small lip at the back, in that picture.)

But why is that lip (with the hole) needed at all? The only way I can imagine to use these, would mean that the lip sticks out proud from the post - uh?

If anyone can point me at a diagram somewhere that shows how they're used I'd be very grateful.

Thanks John

Reply to
Another John

Hmm not obvious but they do look a bit like the third photo down on this page

Bob Minchin

The Wickes video shows how to use them

alan_m

Yes, indeed. They look the same as the ones in the Wickes video cited by alan_m. I haven't got a clue what the big hole is for, though!

Reply to
Roger Mills

The fixing screw goes through the clip into the first vertical edge rail, then through the large hole in the clip, then through the fence slats AND the vertical edge rail the other side. The smaller the hole the more accurate you would have to be when positioning the fixing screw.

Reply to
alan_m

In case the screw "wanders a bit" on its way through the panel I should think.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Don't bother with clips. Just screw the panel into the post. If you use Turbo Gold or Screw Tite screws you don't even need a pilot hole.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's what I usually do. Just block up the panel underneath to the height you want, then just screw the panels to the posts. Easy to remove, if necessary.

Reply to
Bod

Or just fix the normal clip, hammer it to an L shape, and bend it back when the panel is in. Works well and a no brainer if you're working alone with 6ft panels

Reply to
stuart noble

Holy smoke. The verdict is in: I am thick!

I actually watched that video at the start of my considerable wanderings through "The Interweb course on fence erection". I was paying attention to all the early stages though, and didn't register his use of the clips!

I eventually ended up watching (and paying more attention to) the B&Q video on *mending* a fence, and that fella uses the other clips (And actually lifts, then slides, the 6' panel into position, with the help of his female assistant (I thought really that she ought to be doing what he did, just for a change.)).

Thank you so much Alan, and to everyone else for the handy tips. I see now that my basic fault was assuming that the big hole is for getting your drill/driver through, whereas, as more than one has pointed out, and as the Wickes video shows, it's for accommodating a wandering screw-end.

Thanks again chaps. In't t'Interweb brilliant?!

John

Reply to
Another John

"I can't really use the normal U-shape panel clips, because it would be extremely difficult to raise a panel high enough to slot down into the gap between two posts. "

Using the usual U shaped ones is easy - if the top ones are just loose enough to rotate a bit then angle them at about 30degrees and then slide the panel UP into them and then rotate the panel down and drop it into the bottom clips. You only need to lift the panel high enough to clear the bottom clips.

(However, bending the clips - or using the newer ones shown in the video is probably the way to go now. You would have to lift a panel to ful height with concrete slotted posts though.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

DB: my son sometimes uses a word which I find very irritating, however in this instance .... "Awesome"!! What wonderful lateral thinking!

John

Reply to
Another John

Just to say thank you for your advice, bought and collected Screw Tite screws from Screwfix and my one panel replaced in 10 minutes. I am going to buy different sizes of the same product. They are excellent, no pre drilling and my OXO cordless buried them with no effort. I chose the 70mm length. So cheers mate!

Reply to
Graham