Security post

Oddly enough, I did read the original posting (Phil) and I've just read it again, and my question still stands. What are we trying to deter here? (the original posting does not make this clear). That will surely dictate the effectiveness of the solution i.e.

If we're trying to stop an older insecure car from being nicked, I'd be spending the money on the car as you can't take your post with you to the shops.

If its a modern car with approriate immobilsation/deadlocks it will be reasonably secure anyway unless your daft enough to leave the keys in, or easily accessible.

If we're looking at a car that is modern AND desirable enough to be worth the extra effort and time stealing, the sort of people who will go after it will go after it, and a daft little parking post aint gonna make any difference.

If we're not talking a car (maybe a caravan or boat?), then again, a parking post is useless as the vehicle used to tow it away will be nicked, and other methods should be considered such as wheel clamps, chaining to ground anchors etc.

We may be looking to deter someone from reversing a nicked van up your drive so they can do your house over and conveniently load all your stuff in. Parking post pretty useless for that too as the thieves will likely have targeted your house because of other reasons/security weaknesses.

And finally, we could be talking about the ONLY situation where this solution is likely to be effective - and that is deterring people from using your drive when they shouldn't, such as turning around etc. My second point also still stands - you might fall foul of your own deterent and a gate would be better.

Midge

Reply to
Midge

BTW, I have a trailer in my drive, and I have a locking tow-hitch, a wheel-clamp and it's padlocked to a BFO tree with a security cable. I still worry about it...

Reply to
Huge