Maybe we should now call them RTB?

Rotate, Thump, Both?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Have you only just found that out?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Hi Aidan,

Whilst you've had plenty of info in response to your post (some good, some just off the wall science), no-one seems to have actually explained it in simple "I'm a diy-er, what will it do for me" terms.

Do you remember the last time you tried your standard hammer drill into concrete or hard render/bricks? Umpteen melted bits, hours of tedium just holding the drill and hoping?

Well, SDS basically takes the 'hammer' action of your standard hammer drill and puts it on a massive dose of steroids. What used to be twenty minutes hoping and praying that your hammer drill and bit would last out one more hole is now 5 seconds of not even thinking about it.

With SDS, a 20mm hole through 200mm of brick/stone/concrete? Yeah no problem, don't even think about a pilot hole, it would just waste time.

As another poster here has said, "just try it". He's quite right. I'd heard about SDS for years but never thought I actually needed one. I borrowed one from my neighbour and that was that, I was hooked. I went and spent £140 on a light but powerful Kress jobby.

All the "roto stop/chisel mode/drill only" are *features* - albeit very useful ones. If you're unsure, see if you can try one out at your local tool shop[1] before you go buying one - but trust me, you'll be amazed.

Hth

[1] Quite luckily, my local independent tool shop actively encourages you to go out the back with any of their display models and try them for real[2]. [2] Quite unfortunately, my local independent tool shop doesn't sell arms or women :-) Someone
Reply to
somebody

In article , somebody writes

Not 'arrff. remember years ago my dad trying to put a hole into his concrete house for summatt 'r other, only wanted it half inch in diameter and 4 inches deep and that took a whole weekend.

Did the same a couple of years ago with SDS and put a 3/4 inch one right through the wall in less than a minute.

These things have to be used to be believed!, believe U me!.....

Reply to
tony sayer

This I had noticed.

OK, gotcha.

Ah, placing Hilti self-drillers into granite cliffs for the caving club training ground : full stretch to the left ; 3 hours of hammering ; install dodgy bolt ; transfer full weight across to new bolt ; reach sideways and start to drill new bolt. Bloody knackering.

Ohhh, sexy!

Reply to
Aidan Karley

There's a FAQ? Does it cover questions of central heating system layout and decipherment ?

Reply to
Aidan Karley

I don't have any jobs in hand that would need one ; I was asking so that I'd have a chance to identify any future situations where getting (including renting) an SDS would be worth the effort of walking to B+Q, searching the shelves, assessing prices, thinking "too much", walking round to the hire shop ...

Reply to
Aidan Karley

Yes.

"hammer on steroids". OK, got where you're coming from.

Ohh, sounds like a job I'd avoid getting involved with if at all possible. And the wife certainly wouldn't let me get involved with anything like that.

That would probably rent a beast like that for a couple of months (including delivery/ collection. Someone else mentioned that there are only a small number of shank sizes available, so if I found a task that needed doing, I could confidently invest in the correct size bit and rent a machine that would fit it.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

Since you're likely to be using it for masonry fixings, all the sizes needed for that are readily available. 5mm is the smallest commonly available.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since you're from Aberdeen I can think of one likely use - drilling into granite, which it does with ease. For occasional use a cheap (30 ish quid) SDS drill is likely to be ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The FAQ on CH is about 20 years out of date? What do you want to know?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Aberdeen? You poor bastard!

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

If you're new here, you should be aware that the person currently calling himself 'Doctor Drivel' is the resident idiot. He knows nothing, but thinks he knows a lot (and even more about combi boilers).

Others will no doubt give their opinion.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Has your new Littlewoods catalogue arrived, then?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I borrowed a green Bosch battery SDS today at work and was very impressed with it. I would like to get one. The owner said they cost about =A370 from B&Q. Only one battery though.

One thing to remember with SDS drills is when using them on airoblocks, don't use the hammer action.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The only one? Surely not. This would be such a failure of normal USENET standards.

Reply to
Aidan Karley

I asked my question in message

Reply to
Aidan Karley

This man is from Essex.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Will you please off as you are an idiot.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I borrowed a green Bosch battery SDS today at work and was very impressed with it. I would like to get one. The owner said they cost about £70 from B&Q. Only one battery though.