sds chisels

Hello,

Are all sds plus chisels created equal or are some better than others? I wondered whether a cheap 40mm one was just as good as the Bosch version that costs three times as much?

Are the expensive ones made of a harder metal or do you just pay for the name?

Can they all be sharpened in a bench grinder when blunt?

Thanks, Stephen.

Reply to
Stephen

I bought a cheap set from Aldi, thinking I could buy a better set when they wore out. But despite getting a lot of hard use, they didn't wear out.

Yes, the ones from Aldi can.

Reply to
Bruce

Some are better than others, but you can't tell based on price alone. Most of the big name manufacturers chisels are the same as non-name Chinese brands in my experience. The chisels I bought from a local tool store were much tougher than the Bosch set that came with my SDS drill.

There's also a wider range available from decent tool stores, and it's possible to make a much better job with the right tools.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I've had the opposite experience. I've tried cheap drills, chisels and screwdriver bits. Cheap drills always bent on first use, chisels blunted quickly and the screwdriver bits rounded off straight away. I then decided to buy 'decent' bits. I got a really nice set of Dewalt SDS masonary bits which are the dogs ********, they'll go through engineering brick and concrete with ease. The same with Dewalt screwdriver bits, they have lasted for ages. Bosch screwdriver bits are really good too. I also bought a set of Clarke SDS chisels, which although they have had a lot of use, still haven't needed sharpening yet. So, I really wouldn't recommend the cheapest chisels as they are usually of softer metal, nor would I go for the most expensive. It depends upon how much and how often you intend to use them I suppose. Wavey Dave

Reply to
Dave

I don't think you have, or you have misunderstood what I said.

Umm hmm, where did I advise anyone to buy "cheap" steels or bits?

I found Bosch to be of variable quality, but of invariant price.

I didn't recommend the cheapest chisels.

I also pointed out that price alone is not an indicator of quality.

So, your experience is not "the opposite", it's "the same".

Reply to
Steve Firth

Indeed. I bought a set from Lidl a few months ago and they appear to be at least the equal as the originals which came with my DeWalt.

Lidl also sold sets of HSS twist drills - 0.5 - 10mm in 0.5 steps - in a steel case for quite a bit less than Screwfix, and I can't fault the quality.

I'm beginning to like Lidl so much I'm going to Argos to get a silver choker...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I bought several boxes of SDS steels and drill bits from Lidl for my forrin building project. I intended to throw them away as they wore out, but so far, despite 12 hours per day use not even the drill bits have worn out.

Reply to
Steve Firth

What disguise did you wear to visit Lidl?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I often see professional people I know shopping at Lidl for items such as smoked salmon, Parma and Serrano ham, lobster ... the list goes on.

No need for a disguise. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

I wouldn't touch any of that stuff at Lidl. I made the mistake (once) of trying prawns from Lidl. Over-salted s**te. I've also tried their smoked salmon . I get that sort of thing at the local fishmonger or Waitrose if I need to shop on a Sunday. Lidl's tools are OK if one shops carefully, but I don't put those in my mouth.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I grew a grey pony tail and carried a microphone. The place is full of sound recordists from "independent" production companies.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Your loss.

Reply to
Bruce

Not at all, unless you count avoiding food poisoning as "a loss". I realise that the majority of Brits would eat a dog turd if it was dusted with icing sugar. And I take it you're happy to be part of the majority.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not aware of any food poisoning cases traced to Lidl purchases - have you a reference? The staff in one Lidl's store in Sweden were poisoning food they put in the dumpster but that's hardly company policy - a few other nebulous Google returns. A Google search for "waitrose food poisoning" reveals more concrete ones however.

No they wouldn't

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I have references to Lidl adulterating food, yes. I've posted them here before.

Umm hmm.

Oh yes they would.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not surprised they're shopping rather than working if they look like that. Soooo '70s.

I do work with one boom op who might fit the bill - apart from the grey bit. But then his other job is the bass guitarist for the Bay City Rollers

- so he's entitled to be a bit eccentric.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've been filmed for a documentary that's going out next year. I've had several days of being followed around by a cameraman and a recordist (and a director, continuity girl, author, and even god help us a lawyer) the recordists have all had grey ponytails.

Unless it's the same one changing his face fungus each day, of course.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I take Mr Firth's comment's about food poisoning at Lidl quite seriously. I have no doubt that he will wish to contact Lidl UK customer service personally to discuss his concerns: Tel: 0870 444 1234 mailto: snipped-for-privacy@lidl.co.uk

Reply to
Bruce

Perhaps Lidl can find the time to explain why they passed off adulterated product as fit for human consumption? So far they haven't responded to me, or to any of the journalists who have asked them about their practices.

And perhaps you could get your head out of your arse? The fact that you want to eat cheaply does not mean that the evidence of Lidl's chicanery goes away.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I will be quite happy to pass your contact details, together with copies of your postings on here, to Lidl UK's Legal Department.

Reply to
Bruce