SDS Tile Removing Chisels

Has anyone any experience using these chisels with a cranked blade to remove ceramic floor tiles?

I can't establish from the web if they are more suited to wall tiles and for floor tiles a narrower 3/4" conventional chisel would be better than the 3" wide tile remover - energy of hammer more concentrated.

The contra argument is that the wider blade will not mark the sub floor as badly and the tiles would lift in bigger pieces.

My SDS drill has a 2.4 Joule hammer energy and with 20 sq yds to do should I be looking at hiring a small sds-max hammer?

PeterK

Reply to
PeterK

just used 40mm one on concrete base, trouble is it digs into the crete very easily. Also I assume it would break more tiles, which means more tiles will require you to lift first one piece then another.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

See how well stuck they are first. If the floor wasn't well sealed they might just lift with a bolster and a light tap

Reply to
Stuart Noble

See how the tiles are stuck first. I bought an Ebay set of SDS tile chisels in anticipation, hardly used them. Basically a lump hammer and bolster and a heavy duty floor scraper (Topps Tiles £14.99) got the concrete clean ready for new tiles.

Reply to
Ian_m

In message , PeterK writes

I recently removed a sh** load of floor and wall tiles using an SDS with a standard 40mm chisel bit. I was amazed at how quickly they came off/up.

Chisel bit about a fiver, it's atleast worth giving it a go.

Hth

Reply to
somebody