Scary cooking

I think that metal simply reflects the microwaves so provided that there is something capable of absorbing them and converting them to heat I don't think there is a problem per se. My microwave has an aluminium paddle in the top which rotates and presumably bounces the energy where it wouldn't otherwise have gone. I stick my metal butter dish in for a few seconds, to soften the butter, with no bad results. I think the problem is with complete metal rings such as the surface of CDs and the gold patterns on cups. In those special situations you are inducing high voltages into a continuous circuit with interesting results.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

Panasonic combination ovens have circular metal trays and racks that can be used during mixed convection / microwave modes.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Temperature:

400°F or Gas (mark) 6 or 200°C
Reply to
Toby

My Neff combination oven has a slatted metal shelf, useable in all modes, and unremarkable in its design.

It has no turntable, as there is a "stirrer" fitted.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing..

Microwaves will induce currents in metals. IF the metal is very low resistance, the currents may be high, but the power lost will be small and the surface then emits that RF energy back. We call it 'reflection'

If the resistance is higher, the power is absorbed and turned to heat..

.,... which is why thin foils crackle and explode.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wasn't claiming any knowledge - simply describing what I have. I admit I hadn't even begun to explain to myself why warming my tea didn't produce fireworks. It just works ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I'm more worried about my nuts

Other Allergen Info: Recipe: No nuts.Ingredients: Cannot guarantee nut free.Factory: No nuts.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So, when people talk about 'nuking' a pie in the microwave...

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Set the oven to 200C and leave the pie cooking for 15.5 hours.

Reply to
alan