The Dreaded BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death)

it'll wipe it and copy the original files back, formatting is nothing "magic" these days, the PC doesn't know enough about the internals of the disk to actually format it.

Not likely to help further

Sounds like a hardware issue, download memtest86+ and create a bootable CD or USB stick, leave it running for a few hours.

Or give more details of the BSOD

Reply to
Andy Burns

If you format you may well need the Dell disk to do so. I found this out to my cost.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

En el artículo , the_constructor escribió:

More information needed. The BSOD will be a STOP 0xnn error, and may also include some descriptive text and the name of the offending system file (e.g. STOP 0x7B INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE).

Giving us the STOP 0xnn code will help pinpoint the problem.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

BSOD is often caused by a hardware issue, so try removing any cards that are not essential for the machine to boot.

If the memory isn't a single SIM, remove them to try and identify a faulty stick.

Blow dust out of all slots and re-seat devices.

Reply to
Graham.

As long as you are sure the machine and drive are OK and you can get hold of any b bespoke drivers etc, go for a reformat. You don't know what abuse might have been inflicted on windows before you got to it. I have a similar issue here on an hp laptop. If you uninstall the graphics drivers it boots up fine but if you let it reinstall them and reboot it ends up with no screen or a distorted one after several blue screens on boot up. Womderful, as there seems to be everythign under the sun booting in at start up so first step switch em all off!

The only issue wth a complete reinstall is the laboriaus installation of service packs and windoze updates and all the software you want and configuring it all how you want it.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yup, what I was about to suggest. Google for "universal boot CD", that has a version on that can start independent of the OS.

Reply to
John Rumm

Install Linux

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

7 times out of 10, a BSOD is faulty memory. The other 3 are a failing HdDD, failing motherboard, or a duff driver.
Reply to
Chris Bartram

Had a Dell Dimension 9100 given to me a couple of days ago and as soon as I switched on I got the dreaded BSOD. Looking on the internet for advice, the BSOD covers numerious problems.

I took the hard drive out and put it into another computer and virus checked it. It found 2 viruses which were deleted, then it was placed back into DELL PC and it worked fine. I did a manufacturers reset hoping this would cure my problems. It did and it didn't. I took all the AOL, Tiscali and Norton crap off and switched on the day after only to be greeted with the BSOD again.

Does the manufactures reset just copy new files to the old file structure or does it do a complete format of the hard drive and also when I press Ctrl + F11 at bootup does this read a file on the non manufacturers part of the hard drive before it restores the hard drive.

I was thinking of reformatting the hard drive using a Win XP disc and then doing a manufacturers reset.

Advice most welcome please.....

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor

Not my experience.

The last batch I had on this machine were memory. I have dual channel memory; I pinned down the faulty one, and ran single channel until I could sort out the RMA. They wanted proof of the failure, so I put it back. It's been fine ever since.

But more often than not it's software. That's why MS invented driver signing; people were blaming Windows even when it was a 3rd party driver.

And before anyone else suggests Linux...

AKA

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Many thanks to everyone for the help. It turned out to be a faulty stick of memory. Machine up and running nicely.

Jim G

Reply to
the_constructor