Santa is coming!

Hi All

I've obviously been a good boy this year because SWIMBO told me that Santa has been asking what I would like for Xmas.

I'm torn between the Axminster Deluxe Pocket Hole Jig

the Trend Routasketch

with the T3 router
can see the former as being more practical, but the latter looks like more fun - if it works well.............

Anyone have any experience of either?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Better get that chimney swept then..... :-)

I've used the Kreg Professional one on which this seems to be based.

The technology behind it is quite good and you can get good results. It looks as though the Axminster one has a solid cast base which is important for alignment.

My only reservation is that it is more limited than a biscuit jointer because the holes need to be in inconspicuous places or suitably plugged.

On the other hand, for certain applications, there may be greater strength.

I had a play with one of these recently.

It's odd, because the illustration of the jig on the web site shows, I think, the T5 which is really too big for this. The T3 worked quite well, but you definitely need a lightweight router for ease of control. In a way, I think that a Dremel on a modified base would be better still.

Some ingenuity on surfaces is needed - they need to be smooth.

Melamine or other laminate coated material is OK, as is MDF and ply if lightly sanded. I tried a piece of chipboard and it was pretty hopeless.

You do really need to concentrate though - not just on the drawing aspect - but also because the user's focus is on the drawing and not on the bit where the action is. Stray fingers........ One doesn't really want to visit A&E at the best of times, but Christmas afternoons with all the carving knife lacerations would not be joyful.

Yes it was good fun. The jig, I mean.

Reply to
Andy Hall

> and the Trend Routasketch

Fun? in what way? if your into doodling use a pen and paper. I've had the misfortune to have a loan of the routasketch with a view to purchase one and believe me it ain't worth the money, its hard to manipulate the router around the workpiece whilst keeping an eye on where the drawing peg might miraculousy want to veer right or left of its own accord.

If you can do this then you can master the routasketch... Hold your arms stretched out in front of you and rotate both your hands to the right simultainously. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Indeed. I have a biscuit jointer, but the pocket hole system would help a lot. My workshop is very small & clamping up larger items is sometimes difficult. Pocket screws would avoid any need to clamp and larger stuff could be assembled a bit at a time.

Another consideration, and instantly strong (see above).

I was thinking of softwood?

I have in house support - my daughter is a paramedic with London Ambulance :-) But I take your point, eyes in one place, fingers in another next to a sharp thing..............

Hmmmm. Still wondering - thanks for the input.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

That's true. Like all of these things, it's applicability.

Should be OK as long as it's sanded/planed smooth first.

I think if I had one of these on a permanent basis, I might make some small guard arrangement. The issue then might be clearing the waste, although unless you cut a deep design, it is not vast. It's probably not realistic to have dust extraction because of the weight and pulling effect of the hose.....

If you fancy doing some freehand work, how about some carving? Flexcut tools are nice and can be used by hand or with a powered carver. Axminster have these as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall