Samsung TV

And you really think others are going to believe your 'logic' given the vast amount of crap you post?

If ever there was one infested by dogma, it is you.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If I end up having to replace the thing, any opinions on the best make these days?

Samsung, LG and Panasonic all seem to be around the same price. With Sony as usual slightly more expensive.

And this time, will come from John Lewis for the 5 year warranty.

The Samsung was bought in a hurry at the local Curries just before Xmas. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

I have an LG and the UI is absolutely dire. (I bought from specs and a quick viewing demo, without really looking at the details.) Example - with Samsung, you select the EPG and the current prog is shown in a window in the corner. With the LG it cuts out the picture and sound, so you can't 'flick around' using the EPG and still keep an eye on the current prog. (There's a channel up/down feature that does keep the current prog showing, but if you pause for more than about two seconds it'll switch.)

Also look at Richer Sounds.

Reply to
Scion

That is quite likely a panic code from an internal CPU. You will need the service manual to interpret what it is trying to tell you.

Clearly the unit that decodes remote commands is working.

Be careful not to void the warrantee if it is still covered. They will almost certainly have anti tamper screws or clips somewhere.

Worth talking to the manufacturers support line they might tell you what the LED flashing means and or suggest some magic codes to try and get additional diagnostics. Really annoying ones on Android devices involve holding buttons in for painfully long periods of time.

I'd be surprised at PSU failure in a newish set under 5 years old.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Nail, hammer, head.

With a lot of these things, no matter how many reviews you read there's no real way of finding out beforehand how good the EPG's are or similar features. In the bad old days of freeview boxes, the EPG and general interface was similarly dire on some of them. But the gushing reviews they nevertheless got on sites such as Amazon and Argos undermined any remaining faith in online reviews in general.

michael adams

michael adams

Just before Xmas when exactly ?

I only ask because if it was that long ago, presumably you've now got no choice but to "upgrade" to a smart TV. Where AIUI questions of firmware software and available services can be just as important as general reliability.

And because I've got three T22b350's bought almost three years ago which have had varying degrees of use - from 6 hours a day, rotated with 1 hour a day to zero (still boxed), which have given no problems at all.

michael adams

michael adams

I was hoping to find what it meant by Googling. No such luck.

Yes - the standby part of the PS is obviously fine.

None that I could see.

It's just under 3 years old, and given the new cost, I'd have expected the bl***y thing to work for a lot longer than 5 years considering how relatively little use it gets.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It will be 3 years old this Xmas.

It is a smart set. It's an UE50 F6200 AK if that helps.

The general user interface on it is OK - can't say I've got any complaints about that.

What I don't like is the judder on some picture movement. Don't like the overscan either - ridiculous on a 50" screen. Flesh tones are less than perfect too - and getting the picture settings to their best required Googling. The defaults and any preset alternatives were a very bad joke.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Yes - I have an LG in the kitchen - bought because it was exactly the right size and the only full HD I could find at the time - and it's the same. But luckily hardly ever use the EPG on that. But other than that, it has a better picture than the Samsung. Although since it's a much smaller set not comparing apples with apples. ;-) But I do also have a similar sized and newer Samsung in the workshop which doesn't have as good flesh tones as the LG.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) put finger to keyboard:

I agree the LG picture is good. Got an LG sound bar at the same time which is decent enough, although why it takes 30 seconds to come on after the TV is beyond me. Perhaps it has valves to warm up?

Reply to
Scion

Have a pair of Rogers LS 3/5a in the kitchen, so no need for a sound bar.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sale of Goods Act ?

Reply to
Tim Streater

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Thats class:)...

Reply to
tony sayer

John Lewis will price match them anyway...

Reply to
JoeJoe

sometimes, JL don't stock things that Richer discounts viciously

Reply to
charles

Yes. Mine are in the living room. Built from a kit which was available to BBC staff.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

When I bought the Samsung, I did want to see it before buying. And the problem with both Richer Sounds and John Lewis is they may not have all their stock on display. Especially Richer Sounds, being generally small stores.

Beauty with Curries was I could see the set I was interested in and collect one from them there and then.

John Lewis seem to take a week to deliver on such internet sales unless you pay a premium. Not good in this day and age.

Been looking at what's available. Don't want a curved screen or built in FreeSat. Or 3D.

One which caught my eye was the Panasonic Viera TX-55CX680B LED 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55" with Freeview HD and Built-In Wi-Fi

Anyone got one?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got a pair of those too. In the bedroom. Wish I'd bought a few kits. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Aldi are having a £300 4k TV in next week. Its a bit small at 40" but it might make a good monitor. It has a network port but there isn't much info about what it will do with it.

Reply to
dennis

It is. Don't want anything smaller than the current 50" Samsung.

Even I'd think 40" a bit big for a desktop. ;-)

I did notice some of the cheaper offerings only have one HDMI port - and nothing else. I need a minimum of 3 and a SCART.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)