rusty railings in Cadogan Square

It's private property. The owner can make any conditions he likes.

Reply to
charles

Your jokes are Sofa King low.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

Your jokes are Sofa King low.

Reply to
Uncle Peter

It's a letting contract between a business and an individual, it subject to consumer laws

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In message , at 14:05:40 on Sun, 23 Nov 2014, tim..... remarked:

Maybe there's a back way in (tradesmans entrance in the old days)

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 14:48:24 on Sun, 23 Nov 2014, tim..... remarked:

But unlikely that such a condition would be ruled OFT-unfair.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 14:46:56 on Sun, 23 Nov 2014, Uncle Peter remarked:

If not a sofa, then three chairs. Hip Hip Hooray.

Reply to
Roland Perry

and which consumer law is being breached?

Reply to
charles

The machinery removal company I used to use had three blokes like that. They could move a 2 tonne lathe about as if it were nothing, something we had trouble doing with proper skates and roller crowbars. In fact, they were more reliable moving stuff by hand than when they used lifting equipment to do it; I had to get a bit of wall rebuilt after they used a fork lift truck to move one machine and got it wrong.

Reply to
Nightjar

really

I have to disagree with you

it's a stupid clause that has no place in a letting contract IMHO

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I didn't say one was being breached

I said that the consumer has a right to challenge it because this is a business to consumer contract, and that "It's private property. The owner can make any conditions he likes" simply does not apply here.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

"back ways" are still communal areas.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Consider the primary fire exit from the apartments. If it gets blocked by furniture - what happens to those trying to leave the building?

Reply to
charles

How often is furniture moved? IME of flats a full removal happens once a year at most and odd items like a bit of furniture or a new washing machine, maybe a very few times a year for about 10-20 mins.

Reply to
Tim Watts

A 10 or 20 minutes blockage of a fire escape route in a fire could be whether you live or die.

Reply to
charles

Can't see that. Push the bloody sofa on to the nearest landing. 10-20 seconds maybe

Reply to
stuart noble

Have you never seen a sofa stuck such that it appears impossible to do anything except cut it up? Or a washing machine that requires a superhuman shove but you can't reach the bit that needs the shove? Things go wrong when doing major moves and when they do, emergency exits might well be blocked.

Reply to
polygonum

:-)

Brilliant.

Reply to
ARW

It's an impressive combination of strength and technique, isn't it. I remember two of us struggling together to move a test rig at all, while one labourer (not *that* much bigger than us) moved it like it was a kitchen chair.

Reply to
newshound

Funny - it does not seem to be a problem in the millions of modern blocks of flats in the UK.

Reply to
Tim Watts