Non-spinning flymo

Hi

While cutting the stupidly long grass in our back garden yesterday with my Hovervac Dual Handle Flymo -

yes i know, long grass and flymo - not a great mix), the darned thing stopped spinning. Motor still spins up, but the blades or impeller dont move.

Before i start ripping it apart, can anyone tell me if its worth my while doing so and what the problem might be. It was only a cheap mower so it might not be worth replacing whatever part has gone.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Trueman

The same thing happened to my Flymo Microlite - Basically the shaft that comes out of the motor and drives the plastic cutting wheel has 'rounded off' the keyed part of the cutting wheel so the shaft just spins inside of the cutting wheel instead of turning it.

I just binned the cheap rubbish and bought a better mower!

Gerry

Reply to
Cuprager

I had a Flymo hover for a few weeks. They're complete rubbish in my experience. On mine the blade was belt driven. Unlike some mowers that use a toothed belt, it had a flat one. Put it anywhere near grass that's 1mm too long and the belt started to slip, after which it would quickly develop a 'flat spot' and then stop driving the blade at all. I bought the mower from B&Q but did they stock spare belts? No!

Put it in the nearest rubbish bin and buy something designed to last more than five minutes that has decent aftersales service and spares back-up.

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

Thankyou for the advice, it has now joined the back of the queue to enter the skip im getting next week.

Any advice on mowers to get. I dont really want to have to spend over

100 quid, as we only have a small garden, and the grass that we do have gets either dug up or peed on and killed by our dogs.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Trueman

I bought the cheapest wheeled rotary mower I could find (think it was 40 quid B&Q PP own brand). It was 3 million times better than the expensive Flymo as it actually maintains a constant height and you don't have to drag the heavy lump around without the aid of wheels. (Hover, my arse!)

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

When I replaced my Flymo I decided not to go the hover route again. They require a twisting force to keep them in a straight line, especially the bigger ones that have a grass box. They handle a bit like a knackered supermarket trolly - so probably aren't good for the lower back or knees. I eventually bought a Qualcast electric powered rotary. It has wheels, so controlling the cut height and direction of travel is easy. It also has a decent toothed drive belt which, in three or four years use, has never given any problems even when occasionally confronted with long damp grass. It was a bit more than =A3100, but I thought the few quid extra was well worthwhile. =20

Mike

Reply to
MikeH

I got a Qualcast Quad-Trak about 10 years ago. Never had a problem with it, and easily get new blades (of which I've only replaced it twice). Good cutting, easy control, great collection, reliable.

I also have a small garden, and it works well for me.

Reply to
Ian Cornish

just be aware that if your ground is uneven enough that the blades evere hit the ground, stay right away from all belt driven machines, as none will survive, toothed or not.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Bollocks.

All ride on mowers use smooth V belts.. I have literally smashed blades on them without having a belt go.

Its down to adequate power and correct design..not the technology itself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

yes, I was thinking specifically of the cheap pushalong mowers with electric motors and feeble little flat & toothed belts. As you say a meaty V should be fine, but at the cheap end things tend not to be fine, so direct drive is preferred.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Yeah, well those just stall and burn out instead if nothing cheaper gives :-)

After my totally knackered and bent heap of tin westwood ride on got nicked, I wandered over to the tractor center in Newmarket and got a John Deere lawn tractor. Lovely - hydraulic infinitely variable transmission, cutting deck of 3mm steel, cast front axle..48" cutting deck. NOW I can cut the acre all right!

Strangely it wasn't any more expensive than more lightly built mowers of similar size. I liked the spot where you can park a beer bottle or cold can too. AND the headlights..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher