Russian Revolutionary Hybrid car

Who mentioned two motors? The CVT it between the petrol engine and the wheels. The ratio being controlled by the power input to the electric motor.

It really is very simple... the wheels are not fixed to the output shaft of the petrol engine - so there is a transmission. The ratio between wheels and engine is not 1:1, so there is gearing. That gearing ratio is continuously variable, so you have *by definition* a continuously variable transmission.

Reply to
John Rumm

Bloody hell, you just set him off again! ;-)

Reply to
Jules Richardson

:) funny.

Reply to
NT

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

And crashed at the Paris airshow and was only ever used as a mail carrier never passengers.

Rubbish - they copied everything.

Reply to
hugh

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Yes they did. There are 3 conspiracy theories

  1. the French new what was going on and deliberately fed them drawings with crucial differences
  2. The French didn't know what was going on but the spies accidentally got one critical out of date drawing
3 (My favourite) The Concorde engineers new that if Concorde was put into a particular position at a particular air speed it would stall the engines. At the Paris airshow a French military jet was flying within the normally restricted airspace. This was unheard of at any airshow. This jet deliberately positioned itself to force Concordski into the critical failure position and the engine stalled. Whether they expected it to crash on French civilians is unknown. This was the subject of a TV documentary but I can't remember who did it.

Believe what you will

Reply to
hugh

The Russian engines and the wing shape were different, we couldn't know if the engines would stall in a particular position.

Reply to
dennis

Me.

The CVT, just a small epicyclic cluster, controls the ratio between the two motors

But between the two motors to present to the wheels what appears to be an electric motor.

It is was an in-line CVT all cars would have them as it is a simple epicycle cluster the size of your palm. But non-hybrids with in-;ine CVTs have very complex and expensive arrangements.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Maybe they have done it properly.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

It sounds like.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Of course it's relevant.

Max power is less efficient. Only go there when you must, usually keep the revs lower.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Knob, how much it flew is not the point. It was a very good plane, beating the Concorde, and did what it was supposed to do and still fly's.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Only three!!! Grow up. The Ruskies were putting men in space and vehicles on the Moon. They were ahead in most aspects of space, except in putting a man on the Moon.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Nope.

The force available at the driven wheels is the power output divided by the speed.

It's odd, it doesn't seem to make sense, but torque truly is irrelevant.

Of course you can't get power without torque - but it's the power that matters.

Try looking up the figures for BMW cars. You'll find they have diesel and petrol models with the same body and very similar power outputs, and very similar acceleration figures. But radically different torque figures.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

So British propaganda stated. The Brits never made a large successfully jet passenger plane. They all flopped.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The point was the engine. The T-34s transmission was soon fixed.

Not in WW2 until the Cromwell came along.Those before were just plain pathetic, far inferior to the Russian engine.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I was driving down the old M4 Doing a ton or maybe more Come to a sign said Bristol town Thought I'd better slow it down I was aquaplaning, developing transverse thrust in my epicyclic overdrive, torque condensor units, An' me 'orse was knackered

Well I stopped outside the nearest pub Sign outside said folking club There was a load of scruffbums round the door Like a fashion parade for a surplus store Big notice outside said 'Special tonight Zelda will perform the dance of the 7 Army blankets' Special Cabaret, Lady Mimi and her performing dogs And her bucket of water.

Well it was so dim and smokey there I went a purler down the stairs Bloke said 'Miss a step then son?' 'No, I said, I hit every bloody one'

I went to the room at the top of the stairs There was lots of spaced out cats in there They was laying it down and freakin it out I said to one, 'Man, what's this all about?' He said 'We'm protestin' baby Kill the warmongers! Smash violence! Meet you Saturday man, we'n havin a Peace Riot!' Yeah, wow.

Then a bloke called Stephan Dylavonborne Played a epic about the 'ang ups he'd known 'E played 'is guitar in a very strange way Every string was tuned to A . . . nearly When 'e'd finished, there was thunderous applause I thought, blimey, that's rare! I looked round, everyone was slapping their faces to stay awake

His guitar was Japanese I'd wager With overdrive in E flat major Fuel injected racing pegs And an 'ole for slicing hard boiled eggs Nice to see a guitar with a really natural finish I mean I'd expect the knot 'oles were useful for all sorts of things The maker was very proud of 'is 'andiwork 'Cos he'd stencilled his name all the way across the front I'd never seen a Jaffa before . . .

Well up come the next bloke lurching a bit With a funny little badge like a psychedelic tit He said 'I sing my songs quite free of restrictions Like lyrics, time and key . . . an' interest He said 'I learnt all my songs from me old dad An' my dad, he taught me one thing He said, lad he said, always know when you've had enough to drink I do, . . . I spew all over the microphone

Well at the fortieth verse, I looked about It was so crowded, I couldn't get out Bloke behind give a plaintive moan He said 'I died just now, but I can't fall down' Oh dammit.

Well back at the bar, there was plenty of action From the public speaking and rhythm section The in-scene crowd was cutting loose With a mass unaccompanied talking blues There was the barman doing his bit for culture Should have heard how he accompanied 'Highland Fairy Lullaby' On Smoky Bacon maracas and an E flat cash register

Then I seen this groupie standin' there All bosom, bum and long blonde hair In a backless, topless boiler suit And high heeled, hobnailed army boots I said, 'What you drinkin' kiddo?' She said 'Sommat, long and cool man' I said 'Beer or Scrumpy?' She said, 'Cider, cider, the distillation of the forbidden fruit of Paradise Full of the true, the blushfull hippocrene, with beaded bubble winking at the brim and purple stained mouth. Cider, loosens my libido, transports me into realms of ethereal delights and blows my cosmic mind - Yeah, wow, too much I said, 'Bloody hell,' said, 'How do you rate beer then?' She said, 'Ah beer's a drag man, makes me fart'.

'Now' said the bloke, 'our star's tonight Steelportcampbellpigsonwhite Up they ponced all silk and lace An' sequins flashing all over the place An' the girls looked quite nice as well I looked at the bloke and thought, 'That's it baby, that's IT Get yerself a Tom Jones shirt like that Pair of falsetto trousers an' you're in man, y'er in'.

So I thought I'd join this folksy clique Got some gear at Butch Boutique Asked for a T shirt off the peg An' the fella measured me inside leg . . . nice fella Rather keen I thought, name of Julian I thought he was a bit funny 'til I met his brother Mary

I bought a record called 'Learn 'e self Folk' By some smooth talking character called Fried Wetleg or sommat Cut out all the rude words and worked hard on the quarter that was left Played it to an agent, he got me a booking . . . Salisbury . . . Rhodesia Touring, with the Black and White Minstrel Show This folk music might be rubbish . . . but by jingo . . . it's BRITISH rubbish!

Reply to
polygonum

If you want to move a tank, having the best engine in the world won't do you much good if you can't get the power to the tracks.

All my references say that transmission problems dogged the design throughout the war.

As I said, both the Cavalier and the Centaur were designed to use the Meteor engine, but they were not available, so the Liberty engine was fitted instead. The Cromwell was simply the Centaur with the engine it was designed for. The Cromwell X (later renamed Cromwell III) was the designation for Centaurs that had been retrofitted with Meteor engines.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

And therefore the ratio between a motor and the rear wheels. Gotcha.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

When have the Russians ever done anything properly? Especially as regards automotive design. There are countless large car makers spending billions on research - yet some one horse company comes up with the way of making this age old design work properly. It's never going to happen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Since they don't use a CVT, you need to know the actual torque curves for each engine. All that is usually quoted is a peak figure. Diesels can produce high peak torque - but with a much narrower rev range of useable torque. So unless they have enough gears to keep the engine 'on the boil' the acceleration times can be poorer than a petrol engine with a lower peak torque figure, but a much wider rev range of useful torque. Most diesels go from pulling hard to cutting out very quickly once certain revs are exceeded - unlike most petrol engines which will rev well past their peak BHP, let alone peak torque.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)