Russ Andrews CCTV

Well, Dedicated Micros actually.

Fan sounds like a chainsaw on the CCTV DVR.

DM offer a 'fan kit' at =A378.

Seller on Ebay offers a fan with DM plug for =A316.50

Shiny Hardware offers a fan for =A33.97, cut the plug off and attach the plug from the old fan, solder and heatshrink up.

DVR no longer sounds like a chainsaw.

That's a cuppa tea earned.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So what was the problem in the old fan, bearings or just crap manufacture? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I suspect the real problem was a large quantity of dust which the unit has spent many years happily inhaling.

The separate power supply is going to get a similar treatment when the part arrives.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

So not worth fitting a fan from a proper manufacturer then?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Do you know the manufacturer of the fan fitted? Can you give me next weeks lottery numbers?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

I replaced a Sunon with an Evercool.

They look similar in quality to me.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Only place I've seen Dedicated Micros DVRs is in a server room where you'd never hear a single noisy fan above the general din.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I have a few in service and they are not all that noisy, if they sounded like a chainsaw I would be getting nervous.

I once had a complaint that a paging system was making a strange screeching noise, when I got on site I could hear it all the way along a corridor and through a fire door, that was the hard drive though. Very fortunately it was one customer who did a regular weekly back up.

Reply to
Bill

My server room is also the lounge. :-)

It no longer sounds like a chainsaw. I was thinking about hard drive replacement but hopefully I won't have to.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you do, DM make Russ Andrews look positively cheap. Try and find them elsewhere.

Reply to
Bill

=A325 used on Ebay :-) Plus a tenner or so for an adapter to USB to whack the firmware over.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My server room is on "The far side of the building" or at least that's what I told "Sam" from "Computer helpline" when I put him on hold after he told me my PC was infected.

15 min later he was still holding.
Reply to
Graham.