Round conduit <> metal box?

In message , Dave Stanton writes

yes, quite.

Reply to
chris French

One thing I will say Tim, is at least you did get advice before doing the job. Too many come here after they have made the balls up. Good luck, hope everything goes ok.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

I thought it was sensible to poll those that know (and some who don't of course) ;-)

I can't remember the last time I made a real 'balls up'? Possibly because I *do* think things through and try to get feedback from those in the game etc. The *problem* with the latter is they are often working from a different book to me, them having to make a living out of it etc?

Thanks Dave .. it has so far today anyway. 10 boxes cut in, 5 in blockwork and 5 (in what felt like) granite!

I used my plastic drill jig thing and on the blockwork the Nutool cheapo hammer drill. The jig stayed in place every time and I was able to produce 5 neat, square, even holes in next to no time. ;-)

On the harder stuff I used the Challenge SDS drill (again cheap n faultless all be it slightly heavy) but on at least 2 of the 5 boxes, one the two plugs holding the jig in place broke free leaving me to 'guide' the drill each time (stll handy having the jig and I took the liberty to draw round it to see if it moved at any time before I started).

A bit more work needed with the cold chisel / bolster but I'm still pleased with the result.

The only damage done (and that was slight) was when I used the SDS pointed chisel to break away the middle of the first of the 'hard' boxes and that took a little of the render with it (so I continued by hand with no more damage).

I just need to run the vertical chases with the new chasing tool and then I can set the trunking and boxes (with the aid of some gripfill probably) and I might do that tomorrow or some evenings next week ready for the plasterer next week.

Just got in and dinner was ready so now for a shower to help my (slightly) happily, aching body ;-)

All the best .. and thanks to all that offered help and advice ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Im an electrician, what I do is chop out the wall and the metal box t

25-27mm. Screw the Box to the wall, use 20mm round conduit and simpl put the conduit inside the box so that it is approximatley 5mm insid of it. I then take to crampets (tapered metal hooks), which hold th conduit firmly in place. Job done and you can skim over the conduit but you can usually without to much trouble pull new cables through i you want/need to.

Can be a pain going that deep in stone, but in brick and block it eas really

-- andymason79

Reply to
andymason79

That sounds like a good idea .. no grommets to push / fall out ;-)

Hmmm .. (Google crampets "Did you mean crumpet" lol) ah .. I think my Dad had some of those once .. ;-)

And no nasty changes in shape (oval to round) nibs of brick etc to snag on ;-)

Ah, even stone would bend to the power of the wall dimond disk wall chaser! ;-)

I'd have to say that it's been a pretty good bit of kit. Not half the dust folk warned me of (it may of been the new bag in Henry or the fact I gaffer taped the Henry nozzle to the dust outlet on the chaser at 45 deg (so it didn;t stick out at 90 deg) or the fairly flat wall surface ..) and it ran through plaster / blockwork and walked through some pretty hard brickwork (stuff that bent the nails on wire clips).

With the blockwork one cut and then break away the middle and for the brick, two cuts (second cut with the blades set in and then used to 'route' the slot clean) and it's sorted ;-)

I'm not sure 'crampets' would have gone far in the hard brick re holding the oval in place but a few dabs of Gripfill did the trick .. till the plasterer turns up anyway ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:52:03 GMT,it is alleged that T i m spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

[snip]

things to have... [snippage includes good advice;-) ]

[snip]
Reply to
Chip

mean ..) ;-)

What are they actually supposed to be used for?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:35:56 GMT,it is alleged that T i m spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

I believe pretty much that purpose (only with steel conduit)

Also for attaching steel conduit to other 'easily hammered into' things, such as exterior brick walls wheen using the galvanized versions.

Reply to
Chip