Re: Metal conduit

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 10:20:19 +0100, "Christian McArdle" strung together this:

I'm about to wire up the electrics in my new conservatory. I've got some >metalclad sockets and want to connect them using metal galvanised conduit. >

Impressive, I've not seen metallic conduit in a domestic installation for years!

Can I get away with 20mm for all of these?

Depends where they're going. I noticed from a previous post you say the conduit is just for the exposed runs from the floor to the sockets. If so, then you should get away with 20mm for all of the above. If you're going to start going round corners then you're going to struggle with 2x2.5mm t&e's.

Does the conduit attach directly to fittings such as couplers, elbows and >T-pieces with no further parts? >

Depends which ones you get. You can get galv conduit fittings that are a sort of pushfit that work in a similar manner to plumbing pushfit fittings. Unfortunately, I've never used them and have no idea of a brand name or specific supplier. The only other way is to thread the conduit, which is fairly easy with the proper, sharp, stock and die and a decent vice setup. You'll need to thread all ends.

I notice that locknuts and lockrings are available. Are these to connect to >the metalclad back boxes? If not, what is the sequence of parts required to >terminate conduit in the back box? >

I usually thread the tibe, screw on a standard coupler, then screw a male bush into the coupler, in the same sort of way as you would with a PVC female adaptor IYSWIM.

When attaching conduit to fittings, is some sort of lubricant or sealant >used? >

Nope, just cutting compound when threading and that's all I use.

What is the cheapest set of tools required to cut the threads?

Well, I used to get the company I worked for to supply all my pyro and steel conduit tools but I did recently find a brand new set of stocks and dies, (which bit's which I have no idea, I think the handle is the stock and the cutter is the die), with dies for 20mm and 25mm tube at a car boot sale for a tenner.

Reply to
Lurch