Roofer's matsic on clothes - OK in washing machine?

Hi everyone,

I am putting asphalt underlay and shingles on a shed, sealing with non-hardening black mastic. Of course, I got some on my clothes.

If I put them in the washing machine, will the mastic wash off harmlessly? Or will something horrible happen? I am thinking of things like coating the interior of the machine with mastic, which later attaches itself to clothes in later washes ...

I would be grateful for your advice.

Thanks, MasticMan

Reply to
masticman

I checked my own posting about 10 times for errors, and still spelled "mastic" wrong! Duh.

MasticMan

Reply to
masticman

Perhaps you were confusing it with the Maastricht Treaty?

It happens to me all the time. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

The fact it is non-hardening mastic means, er, that it won't harden. And that includes in the washing machine. So it's a no-no.

I always use old clothes when doing a job like this, so I can throw them away afterwards. Or, if it is a short and messy job, I use one of those disposable overalls that make you sweat a lot, so aren't really suitable for long and messy jobs.

Reply to
Bruce

OK, thanks for that.

I once tried to fix the soles of my shoes with what I thought was black, rubbery sealant. Unfortunately, it was black, non-hardening mastic. I left an indelible trail until I realised.

MasticMan

Reply to
masticman

If you have access to a deep freeze it may be worth trying to harden it. Put the soiled clothing in a plastic bag and leave in the freezer overnight. Remove next day and it may be possible to pick the mastic off.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

If it is silicone 'mastic', then try rubbing WD40 onto it and this should dissolve the stuff first, then stick the clothes in the washing machine to get rid of the residue - if it is an oil or bitumen based mastic, use a solvent such as Swarfega or paraffin (or if you can stand the smell, you could try Gunk degreaser) before washing.

Or when all else fails, read the instructions on the container or data sheet - and use the specified solvent/cleaner to do the job!

Cash

Reply to
Cash

Hmmm... the mastic is sort of rubbed into the cloth, not stuck to it in blobs. So I do not think this will work.

Thanks though.

Regards, MasticMan

Reply to
masticman

Ah, solvents - this sounds promising. It is a bituminous mastic, so I can try the latter things.

Never thought of that - will give it a try.

Thanks everyone, MasticMan (or is it MatsicMan?)

Reply to
masticman

Compare these two options;

A) Throw clothes away.

B) Face SWMBO's reaction when she finds mastic on her favourite item of apparel.

Its a no brainer really...

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

The solvents may cost more than some new clothes :)

Reply to
Matty F

Paraffin is good at dissolving bitumen. Soapy water can disperse paraffin, so a handwash with detergent & a spoon of paraffin may work, soaking the bitch' in paraffin first.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Soak the area with either paraffin or petrol. You could try a hand cleaner rub vigorously then wash of with washing up liquid

Reply to
Kipper at sea

C) sell them on ebay as "gay interest". Buy new clothes and drink the difference.

Owain

Reply to
Owain