skimming concrete floor

How to scrape 6 to 10mm off a concrete floor (around 3m x 4m area at least 100mm thick).

Response to my recent post (and follow up to the suggested equipment hirer, for which ref many thanks) on floor scrabblers here suggests that would be hard way of doing the job (if indeed it would do it).

I could of course break it up & relay but that look very hard work plus an expensive waste disposal problem plus a drying out time delay.

Is there any other way please?

TIA

Reply to
jim

jim coughed up some electrons that declared:

I have a problem with randomness in floor heights, plus I'm going to be laying a mixture of tiles and wood which have different thicknesses.

Although it doesn't directly answer your question, I've decided to put in old fashioned door threshold strips in solid wood, and plane a chamfer into them to match any differences in levels. Won't be very noticable. For me it also acts as a natural buffer between floor types.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

The floor scabbler is the perfect tool for the job. Let's face it, yours is precisely the task they were designed for.

Another idea. Why not screed over the whole floor, bringing it all to the same higher level?

Reply to
Bruce

Drill a load of holes with an sds and a depth stop, and bolster the rest. Surprisingly easy on small areas..... :-)

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Er, sds is just a type of drill suitable for drilling into concrete. If the drill has no depth stop, then put some insulating tape round the drill bit to stop you going deeper than 10mm. Drill some holes, and then use the bolster and club hammer to knock off the bits you haven't drilled. The principle is that the concrete will tend to shatter at a depth of 10mm rather than be totally random.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Would you mind translating that into English for the non-technical among us?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

That's a very useful technique for small areas.

But for 12 square metres? :-(

Reply to
Bruce