Road signs

There is a sort of consistency, as prohibitions from turns and U-turns all have a bar through, wheras prohibitions of entry to specific categories, speed limits, etc. all do not, each group is seperately consistent - prohibitions of specific actions and prohibitions of continuation. I suppose if we started again from scratch things might be done differently.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Quite. If the bar is needed for "no right turn", it's needed for "no cycling". If it's not needed for "no cycling", it's not needed for "no right turn" either.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Well, they did start from scratch not so long ago, and just look at what they came up with. I think the number of road users who appreciate the distinction between "cycles only" (white bike on round blue sign) and "no cycles" (black bike on round white sign with a red border) is vanishingly small. A simple bar through the "no cycling" sign is a no- brainer.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Until recently, I have an eye test every 2 years. The reason I have not done this over the last 3 years is because of a problem in my left eye.

I was like that until 1998 when I had my cataract removed. My right eye allowed me to continue driving by permission from the DVLA

Snip.

Glaucoma can be fatal for the eyes. Thankfully, I am clear of it.

Everyone take notice of this.

I suffered a detached retina last September and it was successfully operated on, but the surgeon told me that I would get a cataract after the op. I told him that I had a lens implant done in 1998 and he smiled. Once you have suffered a retached reitina, you other eye can suffer the same fates. Take notice of this as well.

If you suffer from glaucoma.

Symptom of a detached retina is that you get a shape a bit like the moon when it is just coming out/going into, the earths shadow. A bit like a cresent at the side of your vision. Mine was enroaching into my central vision within 2 weeks.

Sorry if I have bored anyone, but our eyes are priceless.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Trying to live up to your name I see. Speed limits are a maximum and that maximum may have nothing to do with how safe it is. Your argument is meaningless as you clearly don't understand why speed limits are there.

You mean a driver that can't abide by the speed limit? He doesn't sound very responsible and clearly is not observing road conditions as one of the conditions is the speed limit. I have no sympathy for such a poor driver. I have even less sympathy for the ones that don't know what the speed limit is or that don't know how fast they are going.

Reply to
dennis

Correct. Speed limits bear no relevance on safety.

130MPH at 3am on the M1 is perfectly safe.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Except there is a difference, a no cycling sign is equivalent to a no-entry sign for cycles, similarly for a no motor vehicles or no pedestrians sign. A no right turn sign is not a form of no-entry sign, as it may be perfectly permissible for traffic approaching from the opposite direction to turn left into the same road, similarly for a no u-turns. Not having a bar gives an indication of prohibition of entry, whereas the ones with bars are a prohibition of a particular manouvre.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Probably not. Limited visibility. Overnight road maintenance. Other road users. Road debris. Animals. The unknown.

Reply to
dennis

No, they are a minimum. They represent the minumum speed acceptable to the average competent motorist whilst throwing a sop to the safety lobby, who assume that

- anyone who doesn't give a stuff about the law, driving a stolen car, will stick to them and

- the minimum-ally competnt driver who does stick to them will still knock someone over, but with luck, wont kill them.

Let me ask you a question? Would you cross a Formula one racetrack with cars doing 160mph (assuming the opportunity presented itself) with a s little care as someone crosses the street with light traffic at 20mph?

So, which is safer? From the POV of actually HAVING an accident. Involving a pedestrian.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Try 140mph. ;-)

No, I wansn't driving..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even in 1973, when I did Brum to the smoke in under an hour HITCHIKING, it was visible and well lit for those speeds.

Is visble long enough ahead to lsow for.

Are/were remarkably absent, alos slowed down for.

Does not happen on a busy road for very long.

Do not cross teh M1.

Exists anywhere at any speed at any time.

If a meteorite doing 140mph comes up behind you, its safer to be doing

130mph than stopped...
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I once headed home from work along an unlit section of the M56 at about half one in the morning. I was doing around 100 (I'd been in work since 9 the previous morning and it was a weekend, for which I didn't get paid, so I was a bit fed up and in a hurry!). I just avoided a 18" concrete or stone cube in the middle of the left lane. It's amazing how fast you can come upon an object that wasn't visible in your headlights until the last moment at that speed.

Things do drop off vehicles, wild animals do run across roads, tyres can blow out. 70 may be a bit too slow on an empty motorway, but there does have to be some sensible (even if self imposed) limit.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

They do. A hedgehog got hit by a Boeing 737 at Kegworth.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Posted the reasons why speed limits are needed and why they need to be enforced with cameras, etc.

Reply to
dennis

I suggest speed cameras for the incompetent bastard doing 10mph below the speed limit.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Well it doesn't kill your eyes but your vision can go completely. Subtle difference. B-)

No, if you are over 40 (IIRC) the test is free. I get free eye tests as my father has glaucoma. I do pay for a retinal photograph though, I reckon it's easier to spot progressive changes if you can see what things were like x, y and z years ago and what it is like now.

Couldn't agree more. Sight is critical to almost everything we do, far to often it's taken for granted until it's too late.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

"Not having a bar gives an indication of prohibition of entry".

Makes no sense to me.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Then what is its revelance?

The law is for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools. I suspect I know which camp you are in?

Licence, by the way.

Now you are talking sense with the last part of the comment. Folk should be aware of the appropriate speed and that does not require you to be staring at your speedometer but assessing what is happening around you whilst driving.

Reply to
Clot

Absolutely, frustrating others and in so doing creating hazardous situations (as per my comment about folk doing less than 56 mph on a motorway when conditions are appropriate). I do watch out for diminuitive elderly folk who might be driving and give them more space and time.

I doubt that dennis can appreciate this though.

Reply to
Clot

Thanks for the information. It is appreciated.

I hope that both of us have been helpful and not bored others.

Reply to
Clot