Road signs

I think it has to have rubber treads fitted and you'd have to pass a test for category H (I think that's it) tracked vehicle steered by its tracks. I think however you could drive a half-track on a normal licence, subject to maximum weights.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You are correct.

All you need are rubber tracks and one hell of a lot of insurance and a deep pocket for the fuel.

The owner of the local motor factors owns a Challenger.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I think we knew that.

Reply to
clumsy bastard

yep, so are cheaper than humps

Reply to
clumsy bastard

You are right. There should always be one round (at the give way line, if present) and one rectangular for the other direction.

What you have is, essentially, approaching drivers both being told that they have priority.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

The original post was not, but Mark missed that and, as a result, this sub-part of the thread is about traffic signs in general.

Also described in full in 'Know your traffic signs'.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

When the driving test theory test was introduced, one of the national newspapers commissioned a poll of drivers. IIRC, the least recognised signs was the minimum sped limit, but the priority signs you mention were not far behind.

Many years ago, the Electricity Board I worked for used to send out an engineer to check that their roadworks had been laid out properly. They rarely were.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

They are stuck onto permanent signs because they are there! That is the point.

Sign says "Diversion - follow ". Certainly when I first saw such signs, many years ago, they said that. Maybe they assume that people will notice the symbol these days?

On many of the ordinary signs on the route, they stick a yellow diamond.

From time to time, there might be an extra sign confirming the diversion and destination. Of course, if you don't see the start of the diversion, you might simply see the symbols and forever wonder what they mean.

So a few bits of sticky backed plastic perform the same function as putting up dozens of fully-worded signs.

Reply to
Rod

"Tim Downie" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, they're used for frequent diversion routes, say between a couple of M- way jns or to avoid an often-hit bridge.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:

That's what they say but what does the small round sign with a walking figure within require whom to do what?

Reply to
Roger

The message from Jules contains these words:

You need a licence that covers vehicles steered by its tracks. That's a pretty rare form of permit.

Reply to
Roger

The message from "nightjar" contains these words:

I don't think I have ever seen a minimum speed limit sign. Are there any at all in the UK?

Reply to
Roger

No. Looking at the signs on the M61 and A6 junctions, they look like they are pointing to hoispitals etc

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Nice try, but they are only about 5 inches in size.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Glad some one is up to speed on this. :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

The only place I've seen them used is at the entrance to a tunnel.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

That's OK. Hospital == X

Reply to
Bob Eager

Lots of places. The Dartford tunnel comes to mind (well, it used to have them...)

Reply to
Bob Eager

Disn't we have that some years ago?

Dave