RIP The Medway Handyman

Thanks Adam. I seem to remember TMH did quite a bit of decking. Was it he who registered for VAT, bought his van, got the VAT back then de-registered? I like that style of thinking.

Wasn't (isn't) one of his daughters a paramedic?

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

Oh how sad. Thank you for letting us know Adam.

I'd never met him, but I've read hundreds of his posts over the years and so felt like I knew at least a part of him.

RIP TMH.

Reply to
Mathew Newton

The truth is that Mason boasted that he was posting on usenet in his employer's time and on his employer's equipment.

TMH and another poster or two pranked Mason by pretending to buy shares in BP (the employer) and announcing their intention to travel to London in order to raise the issue of Mason's antics at the company's AGM.

It was pure kiddology. No shares were bought and no-one went anywhere near London, let alone the BP AGM.

But Mason made up a story about an employee of the firm having spoken to TMH et al at the AGM (an impressive feat, considering they weren't there). His own conscience was running riot.

Reply to
JNugent

I'm fairly sure that the reply button is the one to dispense with. I only have the follow-up button visible and don't get that problem 9any more).

Reply to
JNugent

Is the correct answer. Mason is a proven liar and should hang his head in shame. But maybe a rope around his neck would be a better idea? There yer go Mason, food for thought.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

From which toolbar? If I was getting rid of one from the 'bottom' toolbar probably yes, but I jut get rid of that whole toolbar, and the 'top' reply button works like every other email program.

Reply to
Andy Burns

+1

Sad to hear. Condolences to the family.

Reply to
Peter Keller

Fair enough.

I thought you meant that when you pressed the Reply button, Thunderbird was either:

(a) simply trying to reply to a usenet message as an email to the PP, or

(b) trying to replay as an email to the PP AND as a usenet post.

Reply to
JNugent

It was trying to do (b)

As I said, I don't /think/ I clicked the wrong button, I would have spotted this behaviour if TB had been doing it before because it succeeds in the usenet post, and then hangs forever trying to send the email from my usenet account.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Well, get rid of the "Reply" button and allow yourself use of only the "Followup" button and the problem is solved.

Reply to
JNugent

Have you tried the add-in Message Header Toolbar Customize?

Reply to
GB

Originally I only asked if anyone else had noticed a change in the latest version.

I've used thunderbird since before it was called thunderbird, I've never had this issue in all that time, it might be fat fingers, but to have it occur twice in a few days after not doing it for 15+ years made me suspicious, that's all.

I do remember hearing of people apologising for sending email replies when they didn't intend to, I couldn't understand their explanation at the time, but eventually realised it happened to them and never to me because they were using the "other" reply button on the toolbar I had deliberately hidden (for other reasons).

Reply to
Andy Burns

at some level you did: that is the 'reply' behaviour not the 'followup'

I would have

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Oh certainly, I use it to totally hide the unwanted "lower" toolbar.

Reply to
Andy Burns

NO!

The reply button in the main toolbar always sends email replies to emails, and always sends usenet replies to usenet posts. To me that's perfect, no concept of having to press different types of reply for different types of message.

Sounds like you use the icons in the lower toolbar? The day that thing appeared I disabled it, due to it needlessly consuming screen area.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's a good idea.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Oh. You're right! I didn't have the "Reply" button in the main toolbar and added it. This message was sent by clicking that button.

Reply to
Richard

That button to me is how a reply button /should/ work.

I shall have to put the mistaken emails down to mouse problems, but it's never happened before.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks.

I have passed the message on to Rebecca on behalf of everyone who has posted here.

Reply to
ARW

If I click the "Reply" button in the lower toolbar, the message has your email address as the "To". The "Newsgroup" is optional. In this particular reply, I have set it to uk.d-i-y

FWIW, I have always used the "Followup" in the lower toolbar for newsgroups and "Reply" for emails.

Reply to
Richard