BBC Radio 4, Analysis - Wasted Youth

An extremely good programme about youth, school, training, employment and of course apprenticeships.
Would anyone like to guess whose view the programme sides with? Do they think that Adam Wadsworth has it right or do they think that incredibly stupid lame-brained troll H Neary has it right?
Prace Bets Now!
Available on iPlayer in a few seconds from now, I reckon.
I can see a placeholder for the programme, I'll post a URL as soon as it is available.
Steve Firth wrote:

They will back H Neary. It's the beeb.
--
Adam

You lose! Try Again!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01jqhly/Analysis_Wasted_Youth /
Steve Firth wrote:

That sounds like me at 14min 57 seconds.
--
Adam

ICBA to listen again. Was that the (sensible) business owner saying that all he needs is someone with the right attitude and he can can teach them everything else they need to know? Anyway, lots of sense talked. Will the government listen? Oink flap.
Steve Firth wrote:

There was a bit in the link about some kids learning nothing from the ages of 14 to 16 years old (25min37sec) and how they hated the prison like enviroment of school.
They would never survive an apprenticeship at some firms.
--
Adam

They've got experience of prison already?
--
*Why do we say something is out of whack? What is a whack? *

If they've got to age 14-16 and have always done what they like, something very wrong with their earlier schooling.
--
*I have a degree in liberal arts -- do you want fries with that

Its not their schooling its their parents.

'Schooling' doesn't necessarily mean just formal education at school. And I used it in the broader meaning.
And didn't your schooling include use of the apostrophe?
--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled?

n'o.

Thanks to text speak apostrophes will disappear altogether soon
Dave Liquorice wrote:

Some of them would be better off leaving school at 14 and doing an apprenticeship. The college part of the apprenticeship could cover the GCSE exams they need for the job (maths in my case) and forget the ones they do not need.
--
Adam

My brother taught maths at a fairly rough comprehensive in Aberdeen. Perhaps one of the most difficult subjects to teach to those with no interest in learning.
He also did night school teaching to supplement his income.
He often got the same pupils having to learn the same basic maths in their own time that they could have done 'for free' at school. And took great delight in pointing this out...
--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I remember my maths teacher asking a pupil who said maths was a waste of time "How are you going to fill in your benefit forms when you leave school if you don't know some maths?". And that actually worked. The lad tried in maths from then on. If fact he went on to get a job and I pass him most mornings on my way to work (he is a milkman).
--
Adam

On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 13:44:34 +0100, "ARWadsworth"

He has to keep a tally of the housewives.
On Sat, 16 Jun 2012 10:39:01 +0100 Dave Plowman (News) wrote :

I've no idea how maths is taught these days, but ISTM that for boys especially the best way would be in terms of problem solving. Simultaneous equations are an eye glazer, but "if the bullet leaves the gun at x mph and the plane is flying at y mph .... at what point do you press the trigger" might instill a little interest.
Melbourne, Australia www.greentram.com
Tony Bryer wrote:

I was trying to help the gf's 8 year old lad the other day with his maths homework.
It maths but not maths as I knew it.
--
Adam

Dave Liquorice wrote:

It is called chunking. And it bollocks IMHO.
Maybe Tim Watts might like to comment as he has two kids that are probably taught at school how to "chunk" and Tim is about the same age to me so we were probably taught our maths in a similar way to each other.
--
Adam

ARWadsworth wrote:

She has not done it yet (Year 3) - it's this technique:
http://www.mad4maths.com/math_help_division /

Certainly I was never taught it. It's an interesting trick but I'm not sure if it's worth the effort over long division...
--
Tim Watts