Hi, we had some popcorn ceiling removed from a room. That ceiling had
abestos (the neighbor had their popcorn ceiling analyzed). Now we are
concerned that the air in that room has abestos. Is this a 'valid'
concern? Can anyone recommend a company which can 'analyze' the air in
that room (does such thing exist?). Thanks.
The damage is done. Turn on the attic fan, open a window and it's gone. If
it's been over 4 hours ago, it's gone. Millions of popcorn ceilings are
scraped clean and no one worries about the asbestoes that may be there. I
know I don't. It takes 20 years of daily exposure before you MIGHT display
a symptom 20 years after that. Asbestoes is all hype. Another government
intervention on a good product.
Maybe a good product but the manufacturers and companies that used it
were the problem. Johns-Manville knew for generations that constant
exposure was a problem and hid that fact. Ask anyone who is still alive
(or their survivors) who has asbestosis or lung cancer because they
worked in a shipyard and were exposed to it without any protection how
much hype it is.
In the case of a painted ceiling, it is encapsulated in the paint. Yes,
working with the raw material was a problem, but in most every other case,
it is over hyped and not so. Different situations entirely.
As for what the OP should do, I'd do nothing. Any problems are now gone and
I doubt it was a problem from the start. My wife and I did our ceilings and
I'd not hesitate to do it again.
I have more peace of mind than you do. I do know that when asbestos is
encapsulated it is perfectly safe. We used water spray to make scraping
easier and that knocks down any dust. Your money, so test away as you
please. I'll still sleep well in my house.
The hype over so many things stirred up by lawyer sis incredible. Good
article in Reader's Digest a month or so ago about some of the asbestos
cases and fraud. Mostly a money grab.
I'm glad you believe that Steve;
Ask my father about it. He died from asbestos exposure. It's a serious and
real threat. It does not *take* 20 years *of* exposure, it takes a minor
amout of exposure and does not show up *until* 20 years.
Asbestos fibers are lighter than air so the fibers never really "settle"
like dust might. The fibers also have a "barbed hook" of sorts and once
they become imbeded in your lungs, they can't be removed. You body reacts
by building a "scare tissue" of sorts around the sight in an attempt to
protect you. After the 20 year(s) mark, a cancer known as Mesotheloma
Asbestos left alone is not harmful unless it becomes *friable*
[disintegrates]. Otherwise if you do remove it, have professionals do the
job. It's really not that expensive, and you avoid risk to your family and
BTW: Blowing around with a bunch of fans is not going to remove air borne
asbestos. Be smart - have the air in your home tested by a professional
company. If you value your family and friends, this is the smart chocie.
Thanks for the link. EVERY SINGLE REFERENCE on that page refers, in one way
or another, to LAWYERS who will help you sue if anyone ever mentioned
asbestos in your hearing.
Here's a better quote:
"Since the early 1940s, millions of American workers have been exposed to
asbestos. Health hazards from asbestos fibers have been recognized in
workers exposed in shipbuilding trades, asbestos mining and milling,
manufacturing of asbestos textiles and other asbestos products, insulation
work in the construction and building trades, and a variety of other trades.
Demolition workers, drywall removers, asbestos removal workers,
firefighters, and automobile workers also may be exposed to asbestos fibers.
However, recent studies do not support an increased risk of lung cancer or
mesothelioma among automobile mechanics exposed to asbestos through brake
The above from the National Cancer Institute:
In the mid 50s, I took high school art class. We were given asbestos powder
to mix with water to use for modelling media. We also handled asbestos as
it was wrapped around a furnace that we took out and used asbestos paper to
seal ducts on the new furnace. I am still alive and kicking.
I didn't spend that much time reviewing all of the link. I do know that
Lawyers [ambulance chasers] are like sharks in the ocean.
I'm glad that Edwin P. used water to deter fibers from becoming air born. I
wonder though, if he used a "suffactent" or "glycol" added to his water to
keep the fibers contained. I also wonder what he did with the materials he
"scraped?" Did he just throw it in the local trash? Did he consider how it
is a problem at the dump? Did he consider all those other folks who may be
exposed to his material? And yes, sorry Edwin P., but that material still
belongs to you. [It could come back and haunt you in the future.] I wonder
what other "precautions" were taken to protect others who might not be aware
of the materials they handled while Edwin P. - "I'll still sleep well in my
Proper spelling is surfactant. Matter of fact, I did as it breaks the
tension on the water and makes it wet better.
I also wonder what he did with the materials he
Nope, it belongs to the dump now. Actually, the dump has been sold to a
company that dumps ash from incinerators. If you take the time to look up
how to dispose of some asbestos containing materials, you put in in plastic
bags and take it to the dump. Really, have you checked?
[It could come back and haunt you in the future.] I wonder
Just to clarify, I sleep well in my house, on long flights, and most hotel
I know you have good intentions, but you really should educate yourself
about asbestos and how it can be handled safely. And how to protect
yourself if there are concerns as there can be under certain circumstanses.
It can be handled, touched, you can even lick it with no harm.
I don't denly that there were situtations in mines, shipyards and a few
other places where the dangers of the fibers were hidden once it was known
potential problems did exist. That does not mean that all asbestos is bad
and will kill. Keep in mind, encapsulation is one of the best ways to make
it safe. You can encapsulate the fibers in paint.
Here are a few more tips
Removing asbestos from your home
If you do choose to remove the non-licensable asbestos materials yourself it
will help if you take the following precautions:
a.. wear a dust mask approved for asbestos;
b.. wear a disposable overall
c.. keep other people away from the working area;
d.. wet the material well with water containing a little washing up
liquid; check that there is no potential for contact with electricity first;
e.. always remove whole sheets or components; do not break them up
f.. place any loose or small items in strong plastic labelled bags and
g.. clean up all dust with a damp cloth and then seal it in a plastic bag
h.. do not use a domestic vacuum cleaner as dust may pass through the
Fine Edwin P.
Will this link be a good resource?
None the less though, I believe removing or encapsulation [I'll try to work
on my spelling ability] asbestos is not somthing a homeowner / DIY 'r shoud
dive into lightly. And recommending DIY's is not in the public's best
interest. I'm only trying to say it is dangerous and should not be down -
Read this information
I'm trying to say it is not as dangerous as some people think and can be
handled without great expense by a DIYer and can be done safely. There is a
lot of misinformation started by lawyers an opportunists that want your
BTW, your link gives me a File Not Found message. Maybe it was not the
That's just it Edwin P. It isn't that expensive! You make it out to be
thousands when it's not. And in California, if it's not thousands here, its
w-a-y cheaper elsewhere. And the couple of bucks saved may not be worth it.
[Some DIY's just shouldn't!]
I guess I can only relate by my *personal* experience. I admit the *chance*
might be slim, but it wasn't for my father. He worked as a driller on water
and oil rigs for 10 years, then, worked as a HVAC [heating] installer,
service, and owner for the next 22 years. During that time he handled a
considerable amount of asbestos heating insulation on ducts and in the wheat
paste used to seal those ducts.
And, after considerable medical diagnosis, he *was* diagnosed with
Mesotheloma cancer of the lungs.
There is a considerable increase of risk if you smoke, and he did. Those
that didn't smoke though in his trade ended up with Mesotheloma as well
though. [Friends I grew up knowing.]
For those who want to be cautious, do so. I am. I'm in the HVACR trade,
[36 years now] and when ever we come across this hazardous material, we
recommend it's removal by professionals that are licensed and insured for
that type of work. BTW: It really isn't that expensive to *just do it
FWIW: My family, friends and the general population is worth more than
saving a couple of buck$.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.