RIP Sir Patrick Moore

In article , charles scribeth thus

What do you do if you need to go to London?.

Reply to
tony sayer

use the train. (unless I'm collecting something big or heavy, in which case, I'll take the car)

Reply to
charles

In message , tony sayer writes

Easyjet have remembered when I last travelled and are pushing their low price holiday route tickets. Reading the small print they guarantee 4 seats on each flight at the promo price:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I've travelled between New York & Philadelphia a few times by train, which is one of Amtrak's flagship lines, and it's pretty crap ...

Reply to
Huge

Well, I'm not sure what it is you don't understand, but I'll try and elaborate.

The commuter route from Cambridge to London has nothing in common with the route from Edinburgh to Berwick, and yet they're much the same distance.

Reply to
Huge

Although the the railway anoraks and TGV willy-wavers immediately conclude that the 44-tonners must have some kind of secret advantage and must be punished.

Reply to
Huge

Still amply justifying your killfile entry, I see.

Reply to
Huge

Liverpool - Manchester - Edinburgh - Glasgow - Cardiff Exeter Bristol and B'ham etc etc all are commuting destinations for other cities and towns...

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , charles scribeth thus

Well these days its the optimum method of travel the train and the go anywhere in London ticket..

No bother parking, no congestion charge and for that no other bother and now around less in price;!..

FWIW theres no other theatres around here unless you mean Bury St Eds and or P'boro..

Reply to
tony sayer

John..

That was then .. these days the same idea needs modernising and some vision to do that as NP has suggested...

Reply to
tony sayer

Have you used a TGV or needed to travel distances in France?.

My other half is from there and for her and her family friends etc its the de facto standard for travelling any long "ish" distance.

And it works very well indeed...

Reply to
tony sayer

This is the reason I don't use trains often. My commute to work by train goes to that same major centre, then change trains, then off again. Both ends happen to be near stations; it's an hour.

By road? 30 minutes even in rush hour traffic.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Seen it. Coal train in Utah.

Two at the front, two in the middle, one at the back.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

I had a colleague in London who used to commute from Barry via Cardiff.

Reply to
charles

How about the Arts? and the ADC (of which I'm still a life member, I think).

Reply to
charles

Well Cambridge does have a couple.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I refer you to my previous post about TGVs, France, and cheap nuclear volts. Course, being France, I imagine it's not possible to know what subsidy it gets, even so.

Reply to
Tim Streater

TNP's idea might work, but stopping times for the train wouldn't be reduced that much due to the way such things have to work. He's advocating the hub and star approach currently used by all the non-bulk goods carriers in this country, with the added restriction that he needs many more (Expensive to build) rail stopping places than there are currently. It can be done, but we'd need to (at a guess) at least quadruple the track mileage that exists at present.

The other problem is that if we could double the amount of non-bulk freight carried by rail by either building more lines or reducing the number of passenger trains on the lines we've got, we'd still reduce road traffic by less than 20%. There's also the problem of the "last mile", which has to be by road. As a country, we've invested too heavily in road transport to make it easy to go back to rail.

Reply to
John Williamson

Umm, no. Although I note the weasel term "door to door", I've never known a train to go "door to door", nor an aeroplane journey.

Southampton to Manchester return - £212 by train Southampton to Manchester return - £102 with Flybe

"Door to Door" would add £41 to both fares for a hire car at the destination. Unless of course you are assuming that all passengers want to go to the railway station.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not everything is about money. When the bean counters get to be in charge it usually ends in disaster. Take Detroit as an extreme example.

Reply to
harry