Sir - is that a sign of age

Fsv of "meat"...

Reply to
Jim K..

At a loose end this morning - I've just been in a very large Tesco, a few miles from here and had a breakfast. I had no less than five 'Sirs' whilst in there - have Tesco gone up market? Makes a change from the more usual 'Eh oop!' from staff in those places.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I remember well, some 50 years ago, when as a young man, I was first called "Sir". As I can still remember it well it obviously had a strong impression on me!

Reply to
Broadback

hate sir especially on the air ..... so patronising .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

But is slightly better than "have a nice day" or more recently " enjoy the rest of your day"

Reply to
alan_m

And much better than "Michael". Even if your name is Michael. One thing that practially guarantees "No Sale" is when a salesman uses my first name.

Reply to
newshound

Surely the best answer to that one is to give them a bogus first name such as Marmaduke or Algernon. Then if they still insist on exhibiting undue familiarity you will at least have derived some entertainment value from your retail experience.

michael adams

michael adams

yes but it just sounds that they are taking the piss....it never sounds genuine.....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

how the hell does he get that then ? .....

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

either of those allows the reply "unfortunately, I've made other arrangements".

Reply to
charles

The last time I called anyone Sir was when I was in the Royal Marine Cadets, at the age of about 18.

Reply to
Bob Eager

worse than that was young chaps giving up their seat on a bus...I was shocked when that first happened when I was in my 50's ......refused it I was so annoyed.......

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Because in some cases it will be in the records. And at some places I might introduce myself with both names, because Mr X sounds a bit pompous. That doesn't mean I expect to be addressed by my first name.

Reply to
newshound

Late 60s when it happened to me - a young woman, just to make it worse! I refused politely as, apart from her, I was the only one on the bus capable of standing for any time. I do like to get a seat when, as a couple of times this week, I walked 9 miles or so in rather warm weather then had a few good ales - saves falling so far when I nod off.

Reply to
PeterC

I gather it is the correct form of address the second time you speak to the Prince of Wales.

Reply to
newshound

You know you're getting on when somebody gives you their seat on the train/bus!

Reply to
harry

the guy in Morrisons called me "Young man" which I most definitely am not

tim

Reply to
tim...

I will agree with that Americanism.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

With the lamentable dumbing down of educational standards, chances that the speakers are pronouncing with a soft C the word Cur!!!!!!

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

It happens that newshound formulated :

It does..

I usually get asked whether I want to be addressed as Mr or Harry and insist they use the less formal first name.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield