Sir - is that a sign of age

At a loose end this morning - I've just been in a very large Tesco, a few miles from here and had a breakfast. I had no less than five 'Sirs' whilst in there - have Tesco gone up market? Makes a change from the more usual 'Eh oop!' from staff in those places.
On 12/07/2019 13:37, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

I remember well, some 50 years ago, when as a young man, I was first called "Sir". As I can still remember it well it obviously had a strong impression on me!
On 12/07/2019 13:41, Broadback wrote:

I knew I was getting older when kids called me Mister. I was only in my late 20s.
--
Adam

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 13:41:18 +0100, Broadback

Likewise ... and also being 'waited on'.
When Dad came ashore from The Merchant Navy he was a 'ships chandler' and would often take me down to the various London docks on the weekend. Dad would look after the small ships (basic provisions etc) and we would often get invited to stay for a meal. Many of the small ships had Indian crews those days and being 'waited on' whilst being served curry was quite an experience for me (we didn't go to posh restaurants etc).
Being waited on made me feel slightly uncomfortable and still does.
Cheers, T i m
On 12/07/2019 13:37, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

hate sir especially on the air ..... so patronising .....
On 12/07/2019 15:20, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

But is slightly better than "have a nice day" or more recently " enjoy the rest of your day"
--
mailto : news admac myzen co uk

On 12/07/2019 15:29, alan_m wrote:

And much better than "Michael". Even if your name is Michael. One thing that practially guarantees "No Sale" is when a salesman uses my first name.

Surely the best answer to that one is to give them a bogus first name such as Marmaduke or Algernon. Then if they still insist on exhibiting undue familiarity you will at least have derived some entertainment value from your retail experience.
michael adams
On 12/07/2019 15:32, newshound wrote:

how the hell does he get that then ? .....
On 12/07/2019 15:46, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Because in some cases it will be in the records. And at some places I might introduce myself with both names, because Mr X sounds a bit pompous. That doesn't mean I expect to be addressed by my first name.
It happens that newshound formulated :

It does..

I usually get asked whether I want to be addressed as Mr or Harry and insist they use the less formal first name.
On 12/07/2019 16:38, newshound wrote:

I used to send business faxes marked as From "Steve Walker", sign them "S.Walker" and have my printed name under the signature as "Mr. S.M.Walker", letting the recipient address me in whatever way they were most comfortable with - particularly as many foreign countries have their own preferences.
I read a book about 40 years ago, where a character said something like "You can call me whatever you want, as long as it is said with the proper tone of respect." I can agree with that.
SteveW

when I was (email) communicating with some Arabs about booking guided tours in their country
they all replied with
Dear Mr Tim
I never did find out if that was their normal "politeness" or whether they just assumed people signed their name Surname, Christian name (as indeed, some countries do)
tim
<snip> >

Our local kebab shop call me 'Mr Tim' and I am very happy with that.
Cheers, T i m

you're happy that the local kebab shop know you by your first name
is your doctor happy about that?
tim
On 13/07/2019 11:00, tim... wrote:

I am. I have not paid for a kebab, pizza or burger at my local for the last 3 years.
--
Adam

On 13/07/2019 11:11, ARW wrote:

all masons then ? ....
On Saturday, 13 July 2019 11:02:33 UTC+1, tim... wrote:

Kebabs are quite healthy - grilled meat, salad, pitta bread.
https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/eat-well/healthier-takeaways/
Owain
On Sat, 13 Jul 2019 03:40:43 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Quite ... it does make you wonder if these Brexiteers have actually been out of their basements (and I bet they don't eat any of that 'foreign muck'). ;-)
I generally have a (small) chicken donor (or wrap) with extra salad and rarely eat all the pitta. And we are talking once a week at most, typically round at Mums (as she likes Kebabs now) and if she or I aren't cooking.
Last night I did a chicken stir fry with kind prawns (and with the surplus making Mum a couple more meals). ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On Saturday, 13 July 2019 13:21:29 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

So those that don't leave the house are Brexiteers now ?
So why do you say that those that didn't leave their house to vote should b e counted as remainers ?
Anyway I don't believe it has much to do with kebabs. There's a newish resturant opened near here claiming to do the better sort of kebab german it seems.
https://www.germandonerkebab.com/?utm_source=Google%20My%20Business&utm_m edium=Organic&utm_campaign=GMB%20London%20E1%204AA
I haven't had one yet,in fact I haven't had a kebab this year yet, nearly h ad one saturday but at 11:30pm on my way home the traffic was so slow that I gave up and got off the bus 2 stops early and couldn't be bothered walkin g another stop for a kebab. I had a cockle sandwhich instead.