childhood sifi book....

asked this before years ago but how can I find a book with only what I remember of the story line from the 60's?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

Type in what you remember here:

Richard

Or ask here.

Reply to
harry

replying to Richard, rico1950 wrote: If Google doesn't get your answer, try typing in what you remember about the book here. Maybe someone else will know the title. I'm an avid syfy reader and the 60's were my formative years.

Reply to
rico1950

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

fat chance...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

This?

Richard

Well certainly very little chance if you don't provide *some* clues.

Certainly from my experience Google is *very* good at finding things like this. It does rely on thinking a bit about keywords and exclusions.

Of course your posting history won't encourage everyone to be helpful.

Reply to
newshound

Jim GM4DHJ ...

so fat chance...

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

OK here we go...early 60's hard back book childrens I think...two children male and female find a circular flying saucer like time machine in a city..it has windows all around it... ..the door opens... it has seating all around under the windows.......there is storage under the seats and they find items under the seating......the machine comes on and they end up in the future..the future people offer then cigarettes because they know people in the past smoked...they say they are kids and don't...in the future there are flying cars which you don't own but just use when you need to travel..even children...got bored about there...ring any bells?

Reply to
Jim GM4DHJ ...

replying to Jim GM4DHJ ..., rico1950 wrote: Sorry Jim, that doesn't ring any bells with me.

Reply to
rico1950

Surprisingly yes. I got bored about here...

Reply to
Richard

Sorry, don't remember that one.

Reply to
harry

Is this any use?

harry

There were a couple of weird ones I recall, one was a probe to Venus had issues when coming back to earth and made a crash landing near a remote island. Its mission had been to dip into the Venusian's atmosphere and bring the contents back in a sealed container. However the crash breached the seal and a weird grey fungus started to grow everywhere, and fast, even on people and killed them. The mission was to go to Venus and try to find something in the atmosphere which was the enemy of this fungus, which clearly did not grow all over the fungus there. The second one was the death of metal. A weird scenario where there were beings able to control the properties of materials, who basically lived inside the earth and fed up with mans messes on the surface, decided to stop metal being strong.

The death of metal was the title. However the first of those above gave me nightmares for weeks. I have no idea what the title was.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Sure you are not thinking of the original film Sleeper and mixing the plot parts up with another story? I seem to also recall a children's Sci If based in a weird ship with something called cosmic drive and that had children in it but the guy who built it was a kind of English mad scientist type. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

Brian, you're thinking of the "Space" series of novels by W E Johns, creator of Biggles. Excellent books, now virtually forgotten.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Brian, is this still the children-in-a-spaceship mad-inventor stories? If so, I was wrong in thinking you were recalling the W E Johns novels: I don't recognise these storylines at all, I'm afraid.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yes, I remember those.

harry