Replacing PRD in Triton T50i

The PRD 'popped' in our Triton T50i today. Seems that I'd neglected to descale the shower head for a while. Oops.

Is this a straightforward DIY job? It's the type that fits the bottom of the 'can' (pn 83301330). I had a very quick look, and I can't see an obvious way of doing the job without removing the can. Also can't seem to find a download of service bulletin No.54 that would help me decide if this was DIY or call in the tame plumber.

Thoughts?

Al.

Reply to
Al

HI you could do worse than asking here

Al

IME you may find you need a new boiler as well (the electric heater can assembly for the shower).

Reply to
YAPH

The can seems OK. Put a closed-off tube on the output from the PRD (there's no real pressure there), did the installation procedure (not really necessary) and the shower works fine. Apparently working much better than it did before, but that's because the shower head was so badly scaled.

PRD ordered should be with me tomorrow AM. Can't see how much I need to take off to fit it though. Hopefully the service bulletin will be enlightening :)

Al.

Reply to
Al

If it's anything like my Triton (x300si IIRC) then it's pretty easy. My surprise was that it was such a crude arrangement in the first place ;-/.

You unscrew the cover screws, and then undo the nut holding the exit pipe arrangement onto the boiler output. There are a couple more screws to undo to get a fitting out of the way, and then the PRD can be pulled out. Refit is the reverse. You need to be careful to ensure that the o-ring fits properly, and that everything is snug so that tightening up the screws causes it all to lock in neatly. Given the design I was amazed it didn't leak in the first place.

I have also considered fastening the overflow pipe onto the PRD in some way - it's a pretty loose fit and I have have water coming through the ceiling below when it came off and the PRD ruptured.

Nowadays I keep a spare PRD handy as I've had them go a few times. Teenagers having too many showers, shower head not being cleaned, that kind of thing...

HTH Jon N

Reply to
jkn