Replacing glass in picture frame

Preparing for the decorators, this evening I removed a very large (133 x 95 cm) picture from the wall - and its thin glass cracked. The 15 mm frame is light and flexible, with about 14 springy metal 'bridges' securing the glass. I plainly didn't use the correct tactics in gripping it.

Before I start phoning around picture framers tomorrow, can anyone tell me if it's popular to use some sort of plastic nowadays? Glass is presumably clearer, but I don't fancy my chances of getting it back on the wall without another expensive accident!

Reply to
Terry Pinnell

Depends if The Plastic Fairy has a grudge against you or not. She's the one that nips in when your backs turned and scratches the crap out of the picture, makes it go misty, and generally destroys the nice shiny surface.

The Glass Fairy is much kinder and just tends to bust the thing.

Reply to
EricP

You might like to replace the whole frame. Frames are cheaper than having glass cut to size.

You certainly can do - especially to reduce UV fading on older pieces. it generally works well, but it's obviously softer and less scratch resistant.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks both. From those, plus local enquiries this morning, I've decided to replace with glass. The plexiglass is more expensive, and has the shortcomings mentioned. Happily the supplier is going to help me remount on the wall when he delivers it back, so I feel somewhat reassured!

Reply to
Terry Pinnell