Replacing ball valves

I started a topic earlier about replacing a central heating pump which was answered very kindly by Cicero.
The pump was replaced and tightened up into place. There are two ball valves;
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id 885&tsi130
either side of the pump. The flow of the water through the pump is right to left.
When I was re-filling the pump, the left hand ball valve, ie. where the water goes after the pump, started to leak from the central spindel.
Other threads suggest that ball valves do this if they are old and need to be replaced. I have a spare but I can sombody please advise me, bearing in mind it is on the other side of the pump, if the system needs to be drained, or can I remove the valve as it is without flooding my house?
Thanks, and apologies if this is a dumb question, I'm new to it all.
Steve
On Mon, 04 Sep 2006 12:52:24 -0700, stephen.r.forbes wrote:

=============================I'm afraid you've got no real choice, you'll have to drain down to change the valve. It's worth replacing both valves to save having to do the same job on the other valve at a later date.
Before you do any work you could try turning the ball valve a few times to see if the leak stops but it's better to change the valve.
If you're thinking of calling a plumber to do the job he might freeze the pipework to avoid draining down but freezing might be beyond your capability.
Think of this as a chance to drain and clean your system - it won't do any harm.
Cic.