Replacing a HW pump

Hi,

Ive read a few threads about replacing the hot water pump in a central heating system, all of which talk about valves either side of the pump to shut off the water supply. My pump which appears to have packed up does not have valeves either side of it, so I guess I'll have to drain the system.

Does anyone know of any good resources that explain how to do this? I have a storage tank type heating system. My take on it will be to shutdown the heating system and power it off, shut off the vavle at the header/feed tank in the loft. Open the drainage valve, if I can find it. I have a copper pipe that exits the building under my hall window, but no valve on it, however there is a copper pipe that appears to have a rectangular shaped valve on it that then runs under the floor situated under the storage tank. I assume this is the drainage pipe. Should I open the bleed vlaves on the radiators to let air in? Can I run the hot water taps to drain the tank faster?

Once empty, remove the old pump and replace with the new one, PTFE tape around the threads, and wire it in. Close the drainage valve, open the header/feeder tank valve and refill the storage tank, check for leaks etc and power on.

Should I also put corrosion inhibitor into the heade/feeder tank?

Anything else I might have missed?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
stephen.r.forbes

========================= It's a bit unusual to have a CH pump without valves. Compare your pump with these two pictures to see if your setup is similar:

?id=13885&ts=69130Cic.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I am using the free version of SPAMfighter for private users. It has removed 387 spam emails to date. Paying users do not have this message in their emails. Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Reply to
Cicero

It is the same as the second one listed. I take it I'm being dumb here and all I have to do it tunrn the screw shown on top of the unit to shut off the water supply? D'Ho!

Thanks

Reply to
stephen.r.forbes

========================= Not dumb - just a learner.

Turn the screws on BOTH valves (one either side of the pump) 90 degrees. The slot in the screw indicates direction of flow. You'll need a big spanner / Stillsons/ pipe wrench to undo the big nuts. There will be little water spillage (cupful maximum). Make sure you get new washers with the new pump.