WEll & Pump System: Where to put the Filter?

I want to add a sediment filter to my system. Bought one at Lowes. Now, question is, do I install it BEFORE or AFTER the pressure tank?

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Do you want your pressure tank filling up with sediment?

Reply to
mike

Hmmm, No brainer for me.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Would make sense to me too but mine is past the pressure tank. Have had no problems.

Reply to
Frank

That would only be true if your pressure tank was in it's side If it was upright, it would get flushed every time the contents decreased.

I installed an Cross connector to my (vertical) pressure tank, and made that the lowest point in the water system Below it I installed a length of pipe with a valve at the end Whenever the system stops, the pressure tank is loaded. The sediment then floats down past the Cross into the "dead" pipe" IN the fall, I open that valve to drain the system The trapped sediment goes with it. Then the filter, beside and higher than the tank, is drained and replaced

The only reason that the garden hose outlet is not used is for lack of vertical space at the wellhead box , which force the tank to be at the same height as the pump.

Reply to
Attila.Iskander

Mine, and most of the pressure tanks I can recall seeing is.are mounted vertically (makes sense, no?) with the "t" fitting mentioned. The extension piece you added is the same approach I took with my Air Compressor drain fitting and shop air pipes. In that instance we were collecting condensate in the pipes below the outlets to the tools/ relief valve, respectively.

Frankly, I had not thought of the sediment issue at all. But, as you point out, there was no need to vis-a-vis my question.

Thanks again.